Chapter 2 ~ "This is a closed practice"

Nate

"Why were you being so nice to her yesterday?" Sabrina asks flailing her arms around and I furrow my eyebrows.

"Who-"

"That....ice bitch." She mumbles shaking her head.

"What?" I ask and she nods. "Sweetie come on, I wasn't exactly being friendly with her."

Sabrina Carmichael, my absolutely infuriating girlfriend. I never knew what could make her happy, she was impossible to please. It was never as easy as it seemed on the outside, we weren't the united front people thought we were. I hated calling her 'sweetie', just saying the word had me almost gaging. But she wanted a pet name, she wanted to pick it of course too. And what ever Sabrina wants, she gets.

I'd agreed to go out with her about a year ago. She was very pretty, I thought I was scoring big with somebody like that. Little did I know everyday would turn into a fight, that's what happens when you date somebody privileged and stuck-up, nothing's ever good enough.

"You like her don't you?" She asks and I roll my eyes.

"Why would I like her?" I ask and she crosses her arms.

"I know how you two were when you were younger." She says and I laugh.

"Our moms were both on the PTA and I was friends with her brothers. We just knew each other by association." I tell her wondering how she could linger on something that happened over twenty-four hours ago. Wondering how she even knew we used to know each other.

The truth was we used to be close, really close. She was almost my best friend for a long time, Sasha was always kind, honest. We didn't know each other anymore however, she'd become incredibly stiff and shy. I didn't really like who I became either granted, I knew how awful I was now.

I tried not to really tease her the way everyone else did, I tried to say things that could be interpreted as something friendly. Of course Sasha never saw them that way however, and my jealous girlfriend did.

"She's annoying." She whines grabbing my arms. Oh how wrong you are Sabrina.

"Can't we just leave her alone?" I ask and she turns her nose up, giving me a horrified glare.

"Why are you defending her?" She snaps hitting my chest.

"I'm not but we don't have to be so outwardly nasty." I say with a shrug.

"She doesn't fit into our world." She says pointedly. Her saying things like that really revolted me, she was talking like I somehow felt that way. Sasha used to fit into my world, fit in quite nicely in fact. But that was so many years ago.

"Just relax-"

"Relax?!" She exclaims and I want to shoot myself in the foot. "Do not start with me on relaxing, Nate!"

"Sweetie nothing happened, just take it easy." I tell her and she pouts crossing her arms.

"Promise me you don't have any feelings for her." She says and I feel my heart sink a bit. I'll always care about Sasha, even when I'm pretending to hate her.

"I don't." I tell her shaking my head. She smiles a bit and I relax knowing I've stopped Sabrina's spiralling hurricane of anger for the evening.

"Good." She says and leans in to give me a hug. "I love you." She whispers and I tense up. I'd never heard her say that to me, I'd never said it to her. I didn't know what to think. I just nodded and pulled back kissing her forehead. Emotions weren't really my thing, especially when I was getting yelled at just seconds before.