21

Out from the mist, by the frail light of Nuria's back, the very shrine that Ethan was speaking about appeared. Next to it was a certain red-haired trainer that Crystal knew all too well, and one of the Kimono Girls that Ethan had spoken about earlier. She blinked and looked at Ethan and then Red, who seemed stoic about the entire encounter.

"Ugh," said Silver, "of all the people who had to find us in this stupid in the middle of nowhere forest, it had to be you."

Ethan chuckled. "What ever could you mean by that?"

"I've already told both of you to get out of my face," said Silver, "what could you possibly want?"

The Kimono Girl looked at the other trainer. "Young man, I don't understand why you would be so rude to such strangers like this. Forgive him, Master Ethan and company."

"Master Ethan?" Crystal questioned.

The young-adult nodded his head. "Not to worry, Naoko. Silver and I are well acquainted already. His behavior is simply the ignorant denial of the fate that binds us all. May I introduce you to my friend Crystal."

The Kimono girl bowed. "It is an honor to meet you, Crystal."

Crystal bowed back. "My pleasure, uh—"

"Naoko, to you," said the Kimono Girl who then turned to Ethan. "Is she perhaps—?"

"Yes," Ethan responded, "of course she is. You know how I was made aware of this."

"Hold on, what?" Silver responded, eyes wide, seeming to understand the cryptic speech between the two. "You talked to her as well?"

Ethan nodded. "I have seen parts of the threads of fate that connect us all; how else do you think I knew to be here today?"

Crystal opened her mouth to speak, to ask what in the world was going on, but the look Ethan gave her made her stop. It was a smile that dared her to try, as if he knew the thousands of questions going on in her mind. But also, as if he knew the fear. She had no clue what just happened, or what any of that interaction meant, but parts of it filled her heart with the terror of staring into some unknown, scary abyss.

"Well," said Ethan, "let us be off. Naoko, you can return to Ecruteak City with me, if that were to suit you. I know you get lost when you come here."

She smiled. "Yes, I would very much enjoy that. It's been a while since you've visited myself and the other sisters. We should catch up."

"Well," Silver interjected, "I'm not going with you lot. I'll tough it out by myself."

Crystal rolled her eyes at him. "Enjoy getting soaked, then. I know you just love the cold."

"Fine," Silver said with a huff, and Crystal smiled at being right.

Ethan said, "Not much of a fight there."

"Shut up," said Silver. "The only reason I'm going is because of what she said."

The walk soon split into a two by two arrangement. Ethan and Naoko began to speak about matters dealing with Ecruteak City. Silver walked next to Crystal, silent and angry. She looked at Red who seemed to be deep in thought, with his head to the ground. Crystal looked around the forest. She could understand what Ethan said about biodiversity. All sorts of bug Pokémon crawled on trees. She spied Pineco loitering around, and Oddish burying themselves in the ground next to the trees.

"I don't really get why you dislike us so much," Crystal commented to Silver, who looked over at her. "It's not as though Ethan or I have done anything to purposefully harm you."