17

Silence loomed between Crystal's footsteps as she walked across the more ragged hills of Route 32. There was a feeling of dragging as she took step after step. The way felt long without the conversation of Red, and even though she'd let Nuria poke around at the grass, her entertainment factor was not there. In fact, she felt rather sad about the way Red was conducting himself.

He refused to look at either of them. Crystal watched as the battle legend would wince, keeping his distance despite the pain it was causing him. It broke her heart to watch his angry strides, head bent down as if he were ashamed of himself. She knew the way he lashed out at her was wrong, but it had come from a place of deep hurt. The pain he was feeling was a pain that she would never understand in its entirety.

In all reality, Crystal had never had anyone that she considered a true best friend, and so she could never picture exactly what it would be like to lose one. She had never been close to Ethan and it wasn't like she could ever consider Professor Elm her best friend. No, the only person that Crystal had been close to for the majority of her life was her mother.

Growing up Crystal had been a quiet, introverted kid. She played outside on occasion, but she never socialized all too often. Even on beach vacations, Crystal tended to stay to herself and not talk to other vacationers. Not that there was anything wrong with it, she was happy in her own head. The world that Crystal had created in her mind was perfectly alright and to her, it was one of the reasons going on a journey scared her so much. The possibility of having to meet new people made her shudder internally.

Yet, somehow, there was an inherent pain and fear at the thought of Red leaving her life. Where a comfortable loneliness had been the language of her life, it was as if now that Red was here she didn't understand that language anymore. He was like a painting on a formerly blank wall. Now that he was there it would seem empty without him. Crystal tried to imagine what would happen if Red were unable to see or hear from her. She looked back at him. Even the silence between them was painful. Perhaps, even if to a small degree, this was how he felt.

The crunch of Crystal's feet against the dried grass became more like a military march than a stroll. Wind felt like the sting of Beedrill across Crystal's cheeks as she found her way closer and closer to the coast. Afternoon light had set its way across the route, making Crystal feel as if the earth were an oven, cooking every trainer making their way across the route. Her entire body ached from her pack and she fought the urge to weep like Red had been earlier. When she reached a long stretch of dock, Crystal stopped and took off her pack.

"Cyn?" Nuria asked, seeming to be confused by Crystal stopping.

Red sighed. "She's asking why we're stopping."

"My pack was getting heavy and I needed to rest," said Crystal.

"Alright," said Red, who, to her surprise leaned on a rail next to her.

The route was along a bay that faced Cherrygrove City on the far side. To Crystal, it was amazing how far she had come from before. She had made it all this way on foot, and she had actually managed to get a gym badge. And now she was hatching an egg in the sling across her body to get yet another teammate. Looking at the beach on the far side, and the buildings that loomed in the hazy sky told her that. She did it.

"You should be proud, you know," said Red. "You've come a long way."

She looked at the waves rolling against rocks in the distance. "He talks now?"

"I'm sorry," said Red. "The way I acted before was wrong. I shouldn't have yelled at you. I was taking out my frustration on you and that's wrong, especially because you've done nothing but try to help and accommodate me here."