11

She was on the road at dawn. Somehow, despite sleeping easy, the stress of travelling had her up before dawn, mind yearning to leave for the next town as early as possible. Being up early was worthwhile to her. After studying the maps in her room the previous night, Crystal knew for sure that Route 30 was a lot more expansive than Route 29. She figured that it would take several days to traverse if she walked at a normal pace. Which is why she decided to go as soon as possible.

Crystal knew she was right when she took her first steps away from Cherrygrove City. Route 30 was menaceful, full of harder terrain and much easier to get lost on than Route 29. Just in her line of vision, she could see a massive cliff that stretched up beyond her vision. There was a forest and more meadows wide and long, and off to the right there was a massive lake, something she wondered about where it went. It was so long, in fact, that Crystal could not see its end. Inside she grimaced at the thought of having to finally spend the night in the woods.

The winds whipped cold, and Crystal could see the first few leaves begin to fall off the trees. It appeared as though it would be colder today. She smiled at that thought. If there was something Crystal hated, it was the feeling of being sweaty. She did, however, like the way that the cold would brush against her skin, like a gentle hand, leaving goosebumps oh so nice.

"So," said Crystal as she began to walk the hills. "It's time to talk."

Red nodded. "I'm sorry about yesterday. I've never experienced such a temper before, so I don't really know how to improve it, but I want you to know that I didn't mean everything I said."

"I'm sorry too," Crystal replied. "I didn't mean what I said either, about y'know, leaving the photograph and all of that. I've come to the understanding that I have responsibilities, even if I don't always want to have them."

"I was going to say that today, but you beat me to it in terms of making you realize that, I guess," Red said.

"So," he said after a pause. "Are we going to talk about you becoming a trainer?"

"Go on ahead, convince me," said Crystal, taking a deep breath in, and opening her stance as if she were still contemplating.

In reality, she knew she had made her decision, that she was going to try it, but she wanted to hear Red's validation. Maybe it was the fact that he was asking her to do this for him, or the fact that she felt like she needed a boost of confidence, but whatever it was Crystal needed to hear. Even though she knew it was what she had to do, bound to duty like a vassal to a queen, she hated the fact she had to do it. She wanted to be encouraged for the earth shattering feeling of this decision, for the feeling that she was about to be struck down, a tree simply awaiting the shocking feel of the flash of lightning in a storm.

Red sighed. "I've never known a person who is so against trainers so it's hard to say anything without knowing why you don't want to become one."

"You already know you're not going to get that out of me," said Crystal. "So I guess just tell me why you think it's worthwhile to be a trainer. Not for me, right now, but for you."

"Well," said Red, "Being a trainer, for me, is about understanding Pokémon and myself. I think being on the road with your Pokémon, training for battles, and growing together with them helps strengthen and define who you are in genuine ways."

"How does being a Pokémon trainer have anything to do with personal growth, though? You just go to a bunch of fights," Crystal asked.

He looked off, as if sad, "Your Pokémon are your family. When you're all alone on the road, struggling and fighting by yourselves, you can depend on them to get you through anything. Even just long amounts of time continuing to just walk like this lets you bond. You can see the world with them, struggle with them, and experience life."