8

When she woke up, it was light once again. The grogginess from her lack of sleep made her aware of the rising dawn outside, shadowed by the filter of horizontal blinds. She was warm at her feet, from the steady snoring of Nuria who had curled up there, breathing hot air at Crystal's feet. Crystal opened her eyes and stretched, looking around for her ever constant burden. Much to her surprise, Red was sitting on a chair in the corner, staring off into space. He was stone once again, unreadable and unreachable, weathered by something unknown and before him. She decided that it would be best to say nothing about it.

"Morning," she said, waking Nuria up by her movement off the bed.

Red looked her way, a grin forming on his face. "So, since you've finally slept, what now?"

"I don't know," she said, petting Nuria who had come snuggled up next to her. "What do people even do on their journeys? I was so focused on getting to this town that I didn't even think about it."

"Well, you know, normally they would take this time to train their Pokémon to go collect badges, but you know we have an odd Ducklett with us here," Red commented.

Crystal glared at him. "You know what, I'm going to the beach. The beach is nice, and I like it, and I have enough money to spend another night here."

"Ok," said Red, "whatever floats your boat. But I wonder how you're going to eat, or feed your little protector there."

"Shut it," said Crystal. "And look away, because I'm getting changed."

As she changed Crystal wanted to beat her head against the room's dresser. She knew Red was right, that she shouldn't be spending her money with such little care when she didn't have the income of a trainer, but she wanted to be stubborn. She felt that being on a journey entitled her to do the things she wanted. She could choose to do that, right? It wasn't as if anyone were telling her not to. And besides, it wasn't as if she wanted to do this in the first place.

"You know I'm right," said Red as the group left the room.

Crystal eyed him from the side. "Sure."

She then went to the front desk and paid off Nurse Joy for another night in the room. As Crystal looked at the city, she smiled. Like a lazy Lillipup, she sauntered down the road, hair swaying and bag flailing about. Red jabbered all around her, commenting on passersby as she ignored him, mind focused on the sound of crashing waves and the slight scent of saltwater.

It was when Crystal finally hit the sand that she was truly ecstatic. The day was hot, one of those rare days in the beginning of fall that were still in the upper 70s to lower 80s. And yet, despite that, the water would still be warm due to the constant baking over the course of the summer. She laughed as she grabbed the small, cheap towel from the hotel bathroom, and flayed it across the sand. Not even Red could make her sour now.

Crystal, in all irony, spent her first hour on the beach napping. With the lingering burn of the sun, and rolling ebb and flow of crashing waves, she felt at home. Her eyes were closed and head was up to the sky. Somehow, Red had the good sense not to bother her at that time, and Nuria, as sweet as ever, curled up next to her to relax as well. This was a good time, a bonding time.

After about an hour of tanning to her bust, Crystal flipped over and asked Red, "You like the beach? I don't think I ever asked you about the ones in Kanto."

"I like the beach," Red replied, "but for training. The Seafoam Islands have the kind of quaint beaches I like. Private enough that no one disturbs you."

"That's not what I meant," Crystal said. "I meant as in having actual fun. Like with your friends? If you had them, of course. With your surly attitude I'd be surprised if you did."

"Hey," said Red, "I had friends. My best friend was a guy named Blue."

Crystal started to snicker, which disturbed Nuria who glared at Red. "That's hilarious. Were you both named after colors because you're from Pallet Town?"

"Hey," Red said, as he rolled his eyes. "Not funny. I haven't seen the guy in a while. I kinda wonder how he's doing."

"Blue Oak's a gym leader," said Crystal. "He was made one before you vanished so I'm sure you visited his gym a lot."

Red's eyes widened. "That's surprising, honestly. I figured the guy would've finally been successful at beating me."

"Nobody has ever beaten you, Red," said Crystal. "Which is kind of funny because people think you vanished to maintain that perfect record. Little do they know..."

"That I'm here," he finished.

"Look," said Crystal, "neither of us know why you're here. So I think that perhaps the best idea would be to take you back to Kanto."

"Something there could spark my memory," said Red. "But how will we get there? It's not like you have a flying Pokémon."

"We walk to Saffron," said Crystal. "The route via Tohjo Falls is too dangerous to traverse at this point so we'll have to take the magnet train."

"But Crystal," Red responded. "Isn't it dangerous to go to Saffron too?"

Crystal took a deep breath in. "That's why I'm going to ask you to do me a favor. I may not be a trainer, but I have a Pokémon to protect myself against harm on this journey. Before we met you, we were attacked and I was unprepared. I won't make the same mistake twice. I guess what I'm asking is if..."

"If what?" Red asked with a smirk.

She grit her teeth and looked off at the water. "Train me just this once."

"Well I don't know, it's quite an honor to be trained by the one and only Red. And, well, you sound kind of forced," he said.

Crystal just stared at him. "Are you serious right now?"

"What? All I want is for you to show me a little respect and manners," he said.

She rolled her eyes. "Red, please train me, so I'm well armed enough to take you back to your region to free you from burdening me."

"Well when you put it that way," he said with a Purrloin smile. "How can I resist you?"

Crystal sighed. "Let's just do this. Remember what this is about."

"Hey," said Red, "Don't worry. This is going to be fun. I'll make sure of it. After all, you're finally following in my footsteps."