Chapter 41: Gone Girl

Začít od začátku

"Just...just know that I love you."

A sharp pain lances through her head and she flinches hard. That voice...it can't be.

"Leo?" she calls into the darkness.

His voice comes again, clearer this time. "I know you're in there, Destiny. I love you. I love you."

Her arms drop, her sword disappearing as her mouth falls open. She can't remember anyone ever saying that to her. Nobody has ever loved her.

Diaval's grip spasms and she looks at him just as he flinches, letting out a breathy gasp. He stumbles away from her, gripping his head, trembling.

"What's going on?" she demands. "Tell me!"

"Go," he pleads. "Before it's too late."

He disappears and the instant he's gone, the heaviness around her releases. She takes a deep breath as her mind clears, only for a sharp pain to return once more.

She wakes with her mouth a breath away from closing around Leonardo's throat.

She blinks, confusion worming its way in as she raises her head. Leonardo has his eyes closed and he's sweaty, exhausted, and if it weren't for the faint rise and fall of his chest, Destiny would believe him to be dead. She's got him pinned down, claws embedded in his arms.

She lurches off of him, earning a groan as her claws retract from his skin.

"Leonardo?"

Slowly, he opens his eyes. He takes her in, relief flooding his face as he forces himself to his feet. His arms bleed from the multiple identical puncture wounds.

"You're back? You're really back?" he asks, his tone hopeful.

She feels herself shrinking as she returns to her normal form, only to hiss as she clutches her side. When she pulls her hand away, it's coated in blood. Her vision scissors. Everything hurts—her nose, her body, her mouth. Why can she taste blood?

She stumbles once before her knees give out and she collapses, a soft moan of agony leaving her. Leonardo catches her, encasing her in his arms, clutching her like he never has before. He's solid and warm, familiar. The confusion remains.

"You...you were dead," she whispers as he strokes her hair. "Shredder got to the lair, he...Leo..."

"Ssh, no, we're...we're here. We're alive."

She looks over his shoulder and her blood runs cold.

Donatello and Michelangelo lay in unconscious heaps on the floor, Casey's shirt is soaked in blood and April works desperately to staunch the flow while keeping him half-alert, and Raphael cradles an obviously broken arm. Broken weapons, hockey pucks, and shuriken litter the floor, scattered amongst spots of blood and bits of black fur. Next to Shredder's throne is a tiny two-legged robot with an arrow through the head and, on the other end of the room, Diaval's body.

Destiny's attention falls on Raphael again and only then does she realize that his arm isn't just broken, it's been bitten by something with a very large mouth. Donatello's leg has a matching mark and she realizes just why she has the taste of blood in her mouth.

"What have I done?" she croaks.

Leonardo pulls back from the hug. "Diaval and Shredder made you do this, Des. It wasn't—"

"It was me. I fell for it. I gave him control," she whispers. His hand touches hers and she flinches, yanking it away from him. His eyes widen and she shoves away from him, forcing herself to her feet. "No, get away from me!"