Chapter 17: The Past Brought to Light

Destiny slips into the dojo as soon as the turtles leave for patrol. She moves without confidence, her head lowered and tail tucked close to her legs. Her eyes dart all over the place, her body present but her mind far away.

"Destiny."

She snaps out of her distracted trance to find Splinter watching her, arms folded behind his back. Destiny clears her throat and bows her head to him.

"Sensei," she greets, straightening up. "Uh...hi."

"Hello," Splinter says with a warm chuckle. He looks down at the clothing Destiny is now wearing—a black tank top, jeans that actually fit her, a new pair of runners and socks that she didn't have before—and his furry face flickers with surprise. "New clothes?"

"April," Destiny says, looking down and tugging at the hem of the shirt. "She insisted I deserved something new. It's weird to be wearing something that actually fits me," she admits. She jumps in place, kicking out and bouncing on her good leg with her still-bandaged foot held horizontally out from her body. "But wow...these runners feel amazing! There's so much support!" She smiles as she looks to Splinter, regaining her balance. "My feet are size nine, and I didn't even know feet came in sizes..."

The rat laughs agains. "You look very nice."

She bows her head again. "Thank you." Her face lightens with remembrance. "Oh yeah, I wanted to ask if I could do some training exercises with you while the turtles are gone."

Splinter arches an eyebrow. "Oh? Are my sons not good teachers?"

Her cheeks turn pink. "No! No, not at all! I just...uh..." She purses her lips. "I wanted to see what you could show me, but you don't have to...it was just a question."

"I am teasing you, Destiny," he says, stroking his goatee as his eyes glint. "I would be happy to show you a thing or two."

Her tail wags as her head flicks back up. "Really? Thank you, Sensei!"

He gestures for her to come closer. She obeys, trying to keep her back straight, and only once she's in front of him does he speak again.

"Tell me, Destiny, what skills could you do before now?" he asks.

She shifts in place, looking at the dojo floor. "Nothing."

"Nothing?" he echoes. "I do not think that is true."

"I don't have anything useful," she repeats.

"Everything is useful," he says. He turns and motions for the girl to sit down, the two of them settling onto their knees. "The skills you already have will make ninjutsu easier to master. Your path to being a kunoichi will grow smoother," he continues. "So, I ask you, what skills do you have that my sons have not taught you?"

"I...can climb, run, jump...do a couple flips and stuff...nothing like what they can do..." Destiny mumbles, getting quieter and quieter after every pause.

"My student, you must speak up if I am to hear you," he says, teasing slightly.

She clears her throat. "Sorry...um, I've done climbing, running, jumping, and flipping. There was some punching and kicking, but I tried to avoid fights instead of engage so those aren't as good."

"Which is why you can practice them," he says, giving her a look that is both kind and authoritative at the same time. "Those skills are an asset to you and anyone you are working with."