LVII

My eyes adjusted to the dark

My eyes adjusted to the dark. My body shivered at the unexpected cold breeze that blew over me, almost knocking me off my feet. I hugged myself tight, and took a step forward. I wasn't entirely sure what was out there, but I needed to find out.

I stopped the urge to start a flame to see. I thought it was better to stop using magic, at least for a while. My body would soon get the worst end of the deal.

As a shivering mess, I went forward searching for an explanation as to where I was. The ground wasn't the tiled floor I had just been sitting on. Instead, my high heels sank with every step I took. It didn't take me a lot to figure out I was on top of actual soil, or so I hoped.

After weeks with the Bleeders, I knew more of the outdoors than I cared to admit; more than any royal probably did in a long time.

I looked up, assuming to find a sky, but everything was dark. Another gust of wind threw me off my balance, and I yelped, leaning against a wall. I turned, placing my hands over the jaggedness. It reminded me of a cavern.

Memories of the time we escaped King Rasmus' men came to mind. How we ran like wild animals to that cave, away from the sniffing hounds and trained guards. Running with an injured member and a newbie, and we made it safely. That night we slept in the cave, cold as ever. But we were safe from certain death, at least for a while.

This cavern was similar, but had more jagged parts, and so far I hadn't seen any stalactites or stalagmites. I had a hunch I should be calling it a cave instead, but I wasn't so sure with so much darkness.

Another, more potent, gust of wind blew through me, and this time I fell. My body was one with the floor, and I groaned. Dusting off the dirt from my cheeks and forehead, I stood up trying to gain my balance again but failed.

Wind gathered around me, forcing me to stay down. When I couldn't take it anymore, I screamed. The wind and my voice molded together, getting louder by the second. My head pounded as my voice faltered. I couldn't handle it anymore.

"Stop!" I screeched and leaned my forehead against the soil. The wind came to a halt, and I raised my head. I frowned, waiting for the violent gusts to come back again.

"Who's there?" I demanded. The wind started again, but it didn't touch me. I heard it, hitting the walls, the ground, and flying about.

I stood to my feet, surveying the area. I could feel small gusts of wind hit my bare arms, but it didn't knock me down. It almost teased me.

"Is this some kind of trickery?"

The wind continued going about, as if it was laughing. I narrowed my eyes, even though I still couldn't quite see, and took a brave step forward.

"Whoever is out there, please show yourself."

Nothing happened. I felt like an idiot, but I kept going forward. The wind blew harder again, and knocked me down.