XXIII

After eating the most unappetizing piece of tart Jax managed to smuggle, we continued our trip to Fortis Crystallum

After eating the most unappetizing piece of tart Jax managed to smuggle, we continued our trip to Fortis Crystallum. We crossed the border through the forest, reminiscent as to how we crossed to Solennes Jubar, and made our way to the old town where only a few people roamed about.

The last time I had been there was when I was blossoming from a child, right when the bleeding started. Mother insisted on taking us on a trip since I was leaving my childhood behind. King Rasmus heard of the news and offered us a nice trip to his kingdom, one my parents couldn't refuse.

However, the old town used to be filled to the brim with people wanting to meet us. Now I could see what the ground was made of, the dirty kind of brick lined with a dark green glue, a sign of the Crystallees, that stuck them together. Dust and grime enveloped it, making it look abandoned.

It was so different from the modern town.

"Come on, we need to hide ourselves," Herc said, waving us to the edge of the forest.

I frowned when we continued walking through the soil once more. The trees and horrendous bugs were tiring me out. I wanted to keep walking through the town, but it wasn't like I could say anything to change their mind.

Minutes passed until Herc led us to a small green clearing. A pointed shadow covered my boots, so I looked up.

The palace tower stood in all of its glory. Huge birds flitted around the peak, as if guarding it. Seconds later they flew away interested in something else.

We were so close to robbing King Rasmus.

Would we get caught?

I remembered what my parents said about the Tenebrosus Bleeders, they were impossible to catch. It was like they held a certain power that royals couldn't penetrate. Not even King Davian made a move back in the Seclusion. They-we were untouchable.

"Jax, you know this place best." Herc pointed to him, but he looked quite shaken up. His brown eyes glazed over as he stared at a bush as if he wanted to murder it.

"Jax?" Gaia placed a hand on his shoulder and he snapped out of it.

"Uh, yes. There are tunnels underneath the palace. It's what I used for my brilliant escapade."

No one laughed this time. His voice lacked its usual brightness. I didn't know whether to ask if he was alright or dismiss it as just his preparation for a job. Maybe it was much deeper than that.

"We gotta be careful. Sometimes there are guards. Right, Jax?" Marisole asked.

Jax nodded.

"So how do we know that there aren't any guards?" I asked.

They all looked at me and I realized I should've stayed silent. Their shared stares quickened my heart rate. I had an inkling what they were going to ask me to do.