XXXVIII

Every body part of mine turned icy cold

Every body part of mine turned icy cold. I could feel the blood drain from my face as I turned in a circle, seeing everyone's brume projectors on. A picture of my past coronation floated around in different areas of the town as the Crystallees watched in eagerness. Murmurs traveled along the air, reaching my ears and further elevating my anxiety.

"After Queen Antonella's declaration of war against the other kingdoms, the people have been on edge. Reports are coming in that Her Majesty almost destroyed the Inlustris in an effort to gain all of the powers for herself. It seems like the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree."

My eyes almost bulged out of my skull. I turned to Marisole who already had a hand on her mouth. The rest of the Bleeders stopped too. Everyone was in shock at the sudden news.

"That makes no sense," Kora whispered in the air. I teared up, feeling the aura of her disappointment wash all over me.

"That doesn't make any sense," I sputtered out. Marisole put her hand on my shoulder. I turned to her, wild eyed. She took a step back in surprise. "That could never happen."

"You can never know with Feulunes." Orion shrugged my way.

"No," I stopped him. "That is physically impossible. If I-she tried to get the powers of the Inlustris and failed, as it's being said, then she should be dead. The Inlustris is indestructible. This is bull-

"King Rasmus has since put forth a declaration to fight for the land and the injustice to the people. Both King Oskar and King Davian have taken similar stands. We have a war on our hands, but rest assured, we have good kings to defend us."

I glared at the picture of King Rasmus waving at his people from what seemed to be a gathering for a conference. He smiled, but it lacked sincerity. A similar montage of both King Oskar and King Davian followed. My nostrils flared as my face stared back at me with a red X right across.

"I'm going to murder them," I said through gritted teeth. The other Bleeders seemed to have lost interest because only Marisole stayed by my side.

"And I'll help you, Your Majesty," she whispered in my ear. "But like you said, we have a goal right now. Let's not get distracted."

I stood up straighter and looked over at the Bleeders walking along, talking amongst themselves. They seemed to be more interested in a joke rather than the war moves going on under their noses.

It was all a media stunt. That's why many proceeded to deal with their daily lives, not caring about what had been said. Perhaps their perception of me had changed, but it didn't affect them enough to do something about it. At least to the Crystallees. I needed to find out how my Flambers were, if I could even call them that now.

You fight for your people, Antonella, your living people.

"Marisole, I need you to cover for me." She raised an eyebrow as her eyes went back to the Bleeders.

"How am I going to distract that herd?"

"I need to call my home," I whispered. "I need to know what's going on."

She stared long and hard at me with her brown orbs before letting out a soft groan. "Fine, but just so we're clear, you owe me way too much now."

"Settle with the fact that I won't hang you for being a rogue gang member." I crossed my arms. She huffed but nodded.

When I made sure Herc and the Bleeders were facing elsewhere, I ran deeper into town. I hid behind statues and rolled away from bright glimmers. A parole of guards coming down the main street halted my move as I crouched under a statue of King Rasmus. Grimacing at the sight of his stone bottom, I ran in another direction, hoping to evade the guards.

I saw the forest come up and I smiled. I would have alone time to call Philip and get the latest. I hoped that Marisole could hold the Bleeders off my trail for as long as needed.

Stepping over roots and ducking under branches, I made my way into a small clearing. The air was moist, so I knew water was near. However, I couldn't see nor hear it. Birds flew across the sky, calling out as they went along. The vermiculo shone down on me, giving me the clarity to get myself to work.

I dropped my bag onto the soil, sifting through it like my life depended on it. After pushing past some of my dirty undergarments, I pulled out my brume projector. I sighed before flicking my wrist.

The hologram started appearing and soon Philip was facing me. His eyes widened in surprise.

"Your Majesty," he cried. "The people are rioting, demanding for your head."

I sucked in a breath. That was the last thing I needed. I needed time to get everything to defeat them, not go on the defense. I was not going to crumble before them.

"Has the general protected the palace with the dome?" Philip nodded. "Then you shouldn't worry. Philip, I promise you, I will win this war."

"Your Majesty, those are big words..." he trailed off.

"And I mean them."

Tears welled in my eyes, but I forced them back. I had to stand my ground and be the queen I was meant to be. I snapped my fingers and felt the masking spell fall apart. I looked down to see my ripped shirt switch for a purple, diamond-embellished top. However, it seemed foreign matched with my hideous pants. With one last sigh, I felt the familiar weight of my crown on top of my head.

"Philip, connect me to the live royal connection. I have a message to deliver."

Without a word, he pressed a button, and I was no longer facing him. As the brume connected to the royal connection, I flicked my wrist for a blank background to appear behind me. Light magic really had its blessing at times like this.

The green hologram crackled before me and a red dot began blinking continuously.

"Citizens of Caeleste. It is I, Queen Antonella Feulune of Potentia Flamber. I was made aware of the false accusations made against me about how I, allegedly, tried to gain all of the powers of the Inlustris for my own selfish greed. Unfortunately for some royal personnel, there seems to be misinformation about how the Inlustris works.

"As the guardian of the Inlustris, it is my duty to educate my people. First and foremost, if I were to have attempted to gain all of the powers of the Inlustris for greed, I would not be here to tell the tale. As Potentia Flamber's enemies recall their moment of joy this year, both of my parents fell into that trap and are no longer with us. The Inlustris is indestructible and powerful.

"However, there are ways to use the Inlustris without getting incinerated. I fear that is what our rivaling kingdoms, Solennes Jubar, Validus Fulgur, and Fortis Crystallum, want. But I am here to tell you, people of Caeleste and my people of Potentia Flamber, that I will fight. I will guard the Inlustris and I will protect my kingdom."