XLIX

"Prince Mahli, you look masterfully terrible

"Prince Mahli, you look masterfully terrible."

His nose flared as my people tried to swallow down their guffaws and failed. He ran a hand through his hair, taking his sweet time to make his way inside. Once he was a couple of feet away from the entrance, servants pushed the double doors to a close again.

The remnants of my kingdom burned about, but soon the visual was covered. I breathed and softly pushed away the Bleeders. They dispersed, blending in with my people.

It was him and me.

Face to face.

"You decided to put this kingdom at war," he said. "Queen Antonella is the reason why you no longer have a home," he directed to everyone. He pointed an accusing finger to me. "You destroyed Potentia Flamber."

I knew it was a tense moment. People were staring, going back and forth between me and my ex-fiancé. But I was never one with tact. King Everit Feulune was my father after all.

"So were those lines spoon-fed to you by King Rasmus?" I laughed, flicking a curl over my shoulder. "Then again I wouldn't be surprised. That's all you're ever good for. Pretending. You would be a wonderful entertainer, my dear Prince Mahli, but a terrible ruler."

He clenched his jaw, straightening his spine.

"You're one to talk, Your Majesty," he growled. "Look at all the lives that were lost. You didn't think of Potentia Flamber, you thought of yourself. You only saved your palace."

A commotion flared through the people. I narrowed my eyes at Prince Mahli as his blue orbs flashed. He knew what he was doing. He was ordered by King Rasmus to play with my people's emotions and turn them against me.

No people, no throne.

No throne, no guardianship over the Inlustris.

"No, I saved my people." I took a trembling step forward. "I was once taught that a good queen takes care of her people, her living people, and by Gracious I would die for them."

Prince Mahli scoffed.

"And you want to know who taught me that? Someone you were quite acquainted with." Silence befell around us. My body shook. "Theodora Banis, royal servant since King Everit and Queen Selene Feulune took the throne. My nanny. The woman you assassinated in this very palace."

All the servants gasped. Philip ran to my side, bowing before carefully grabbing my arm.

I knew it wasn't time to be throwing out harsh accusations, but I had heard him confess it. He was ordered by all the kings, and he went through with it.

"You betrayed us and the Inlustris," I snarled, shaking Philip off my arm. "You tricked all of Potentia Flamber into loving you all to allow the other kingdoms to seize the Inlustris. You're a traitor."