XX

The maid realized Prince Linus wanted to speak in privacy, so she offered to take my rider for tea, and told me she expected me later

The maid realized Prince Linus wanted to speak in privacy, so she offered to take my rider for tea, and told me she expected me later. I offered her my deepest gratitudes, and followed Linus away from the entrance.

"I was utterly shocked, Mahli," Linus said. He kept wringing his hands together as we walked the hallways of the palace. The gold detailing on the walls glimmered as the vermiculo rays shone through the large windows. "I did not think Antonella to be so foolish."

"Oh, do not think so much into it, Linus," I said. "It is inappropriate to celebrate a marriage under the circumstances."

He stopped. "Mahli, she destroyed your chances for the throne. Aren't you furious at her? At the brink of war and she doesn't think to marry quickly. She doesn't deserve the crown on her head."

I pursed my lips. He sounded just like the letter sent from his father. They were all convinced that Antonella wouldn't take me as a husband even when this war was over. The fear of that actually happening threatened to grasp at my ankles, but I was confident that my dear queen wouldn't be so shallow. She knew her kingdom needed a king, and I was the only one to grab her attention. Not even Prince Linus was able to have a chance. She wouldn't just kick me out for a war.

"A war can do that to a person," I muttered.

"I suppose. Poor naive girl has never lived through a war, and she hasn't even ruled for over six months. She is too young for this." He trudged forward, greeting guards who opened a set of double doors for us.

"Aren't you two the same age?" I asked.

"No matter, now you are here. Father has lots to discuss with you. I hope you cooperate as you've done in the past. We need you. We are close to getting what we are fighting so arduously for."

We walked inside. It was a common cabinet room. Books, scrolls, and miscellaneous writing utensils were strewn about the desk in a haste. Whoever was studying here must have had a moment of utter frustration and abandoned their work.

"I figured with everything happening." I motioned around us.

Linus walked to the far end window, looking out at the view. The trees blocked most of it, but created a sense of serenity from all the green foliage. Studying in this room would be magical surrounded by such peacefulness.

"Yes, well, I'm glad you were able to stop here." Linus leaned against the window sill. "Why were you on the road? Did Antonella kick you out immediately after we sent the scroll? That seems something she would do."

I chuckled, waving my hands in opposition. "After the incident, she was so distraught, she begged me to go to The Allicere to bring her a rose. She said it was the only thing that would cheer her up."

Linus threw his head back laughing. "Women." He shook his head. "Do you see why men are the ones meant to rule? I can't even believe it. A rose to cheer her up. How foolish."

I shrugged. I didn't see anything wrong with wanting something, no matter how simple it may be, to cheer yourself up. Antonella had just buried her nanny and wanted comfort during the tragic time. I thought she would perhaps enjoy a good cry better, but a rose was what she yearned for. I hoped to give that to her to prove that I was set on her as my queen: the one to stand beside me as I ruled.

"I am truly sorry for the turn of events, Mahli, but I assure you that Father has a plan to make it alright. You shall see." He pushed himself off the window sill and went to the desk.

I surged forward, intrigued by whatever was on the desk. Linus closed a book harshly and threw it to the side. I was only able to read the word Tenebrae on the front before Linus waved a scroll in my face.

"I'm not sure to what depths Father will explain the situation to you," he said. "But just know that if you work with us, you'll be on the winning side. We will be using all resources to make sure of that."

I nodded. I wished to know exactly what they were planning. However, I knew that I could never get that intel without seeming suspicious. If they were going to bargain with me, that meant swearing my complete loyalty to them.

On one hand, I could help them do whatever needed to be done, and they would reward me with the necessary resources to bring my kingdom back to the top. On the other, I could marry Queen Antonella and bring two kingdoms to the top.

If I married Queen Antonella, King Rasmus and I could make a deal to end this silly dispute within Caeleste.

But if Antonella wasn't going to marry me, then I needed to expand my options.

"I have a question for you, Prince Mahli," Linus said. He leaned towards me, staring at me with wild hazel eyes. "Does Antonella only wield light magic?"

The question caught me by surprise and I laughed. "Why, of course! You wouldn't think a ruler would be in that position wielding dark magic, do you?"

He crossed his arms again, nodding. "You're right. Plus, it isn't like Antonella to know how to hide such a fact. If she were born with the ability to wield dark magic, she would've been executed long ago."

I placed my hands inside my pant pockets, trying to seem indifferent to the topic at hand. Antonella had a way with magic. She made it look so effortless. Light magic suited her. It was soft and dainty, just like her. Every time she waved her finger, it fascinated me how ethereal she was.

"If she were to have dark magic, it would be a problem," Linus spoke. "A problem we could turn around to our advantage. However, we don't need to think about that. We need to focus on weakening her light magic."

I frowned. "What are you all planning to do to her?"

He waved me off as a guard entered the room.

"Prince Linus, Your Highness, you are expected in King Rasmus' study."

"I'll be right there. Will you lead Prince Mahli to the tea room? He has a pending tea waiting for him."

"Sure. Come, Your Highness," the guard said in a monotonous voice as he opened the door wider.

"Sounds good," I said. "I hope to see you later, Your Highness."

"Likewise." Linus winked at me.

I wondered what King Rasmus would tell me once we met. I had a horrible feeling my plans to go to The Allicere would halt. I wasn't sure how Queen Antonella would like the news, but I would explain that this stop was merely temporary. I respected her and her throne wholeheartedly, but I still needed to hear what King Rasmus had in store for me.