I cleared my throat. "I know this wasn't what you expected." I pursed my lips, leaning back against my seat. The crown tilted on top of my curls. I wanted to leave it in its stand, but Philip insisted I wear it every time I went out of my bedroom. I still needed to make a distinction between the people and me. I was their queen, and, according to him, they needed to be reminded.

"You can say that again," Kora replied. Her doll-like eyes stared in wonder.

"You have no idea how hard I had to pretend your comments unfazed me." I smiled, remembering how she would go on rants about me, and even arguments about how I was different. She saw the good in me when no one else did.

"Oh my Gracious," she mumbled, looking away. Her cheeks turned the same color as her hair. I shook my head. The tough Kora was too stunned to function properly.

"Anyway, I wanted to apologize to each and every one of you." My eyes landed on Herc's. He stared before looking away. His cheeks copied Kora's. My brow rose at his odd behavior, but decided to let it pass. "I know I lied to your faces. I didn't follow the Bleeder 'code', but all I hope is that you understand where I came from. I feel terrible. I never wanted to hurt any of you, nor shorten...the group."

Remembering Adonis was like a slap in the face. It was horrendous. I could still see his face, concerned about me. He wasn't even aware of his own danger. He was trying to get to me.

He might have been a tease, but he had the softest heart. He didn't deserve his end.

"I wish I could have saved him," I whispered. "I tried, but my magic wasn't enough. I don't know why."

"There's a different magic at play," Gaia said. She sat by my left side, and outstretched her hand towards mine. I interlaced our fingers as she blinked back tears. "When Adonis was killed, you battled the crumbling building struck with Tenebrae with your 'light magic.' That's why it was hard for you to fight when the bomb came, but then, with Orion's help, you were able to stop the bomb."

"Gaia, I have never heard of the word Tenebrae in my life." I shook my head, thinking back at my upbringing. All of my tutors weren't so keen at the magic. They wanted me to learn different skills where I wouldn't need any magic. Just in case one day it left.

That wasn't how magic worked, but their skills were useful either way.

"And, that bomb..." Orion started. "It tried to take my magic. I know you felt it too. It wasn't until you blasted it with your dark magic that it stopped."

"Yeah, since when do you wield magic, man?" Jax asked.

"I-my whole life," Orion confessed. "But only light magic."

"Look, this is what I've been trying to say," Gaia leaned closer. "People have been lying about magic. This light magic and dark magic debacle we've had in our land forever is all fake."

"Your Majesty, supper is ready," a cook announced. I nodded at her, and she waved at the servants to come and serve us.

The Bleeders sat straight as servants surrounded us. They brought in elegant servings of Potentia Flamber's famous delicacies. An enormous plate of paella was placed in front of every member. Desserts lined the center of the table, from strawberries to cinnamon bread. It was all a delight.

It almost made me forget that the rest of the kingdom was in ruins.

The servants all left, after making sure everyone had a glass of water to go with it. I encouraged everyone to dig in, and they immediately started wolfing down the food. It was as if they hadn't had real food in years, which didn't seem too far-fetched of an idea. After only eating unappetizing tarts, deer, and whatever scraps were thrown out, this was like reaching the ultimate goal in life.

"So," I said, after eating a couple of bites. "Magic is a lie?" Gaia swallowed her gulp of water, eyes wide.

"I learned this with the Maior years before I was here," she motioned to the rest of the Bleeders. "There was a terrible tension between maiors and royals due to all the lies surrounding the origin of magic."

"Wasn't the tension because maiors despised the use of dark magic?" Orion pointed. He met my eyes and squirmed. "No offense..."

"None taken," I said. "Yet."

The tension heightened, but I chuckled trying to alleviate it.

"Light magic. Dark magic. It isn't like how you think." Gaia shook her head, digging into her paella once more. "This polarity never existed. It was made up by royals to provoke fear into the citizens of Caeleste."

I quirked a brow. "That sounds like our good ol' friend, King Rasmus."

"Funny you say that," Gaia chuckled, "it all started from a rumor created by King Ambrosius Ventridge of Fortis Crystallum."

I sat back, appetite gone, at the news. If what she said was true, my flame was never anything dark. It was just that, a flame. I didn't have to be afraid of my own power. It was simply a flame that I could create out of thin air. I didn't need to worry about the "price" everyone warned about. It didn't mean something terrible, it just meant that it was another addition to the simple magic that was present in all of Caeleste.

"The supposed 'dark magic' you possess is actually called Naturae. It comes from a place of light. Orion's magic, as presented to us today," she shot him a look, "is Lucidus. You wield it too. However, actual dark magic is called Tenebrae. The Tenebrae, from what the Maior taught me, doesn't affect Naturae. That's why you stopped the bomb."

My head pounded at the new information. I sat back in the queen's seat and stared down at my uneaten paella.

"Is that information, by any chance, in writing anywhere?" I asked. Gaia bit down on her lip.

"Ancient books." She shrugged. "There have been multiple books that have been written to cover up the truth about magic. Some ancient books weren't written with that false information, but it might be charmed. The probability of that being the case is slim, however."

I nodded, poking at my food. Gaia didn't say anything else. The Bleeders spoke softly amongst each other, but I didn't bother making any other comment at the table. I was too busy overthinking about everything.

My kingdom outside was practically nonexistent. Adonis was crushed by a crumbling building. Little Orpheus' throat was slit like his mother's. I had to burn Prince Mahli to ashes.

I blinked back tears and took a swig of water. I needed to stop thinking about all of it. I had responsibilities and promises to keep. I couldn't let their deaths affect me.

"Queen Antonella." Philip bursted through the doors, hair disarray. I furrowed my brows as he panted. "The dome. The repair is working."