PARALLEL LOVERS :: 007

Yejin rolled around her bed, trying to get into the most comfortable position she could get in. No position met her expectations. Finally, she had given up and stared at her ceiling. With a blank mind and a heavy heart, she wished for her phone to ring. And for the person's name to be Jeon Jungkook. She questioned herself, who she was in this parallel world she is in. She questioned what horrible things she has done. Sometimes, she even wondered why Jimin was so sincere and accepting to have her back in his life in the first place.

     The phone beside her bed vibrated. With almost no energy, Yejin reached her arm over to pick up the phone that felt like it had weighed over a hundred pounds.

     "Hello?"
     "Tomorrow, after school, the cafe you and I always go to. Jungkook will be there, too." A smile crept onto Yejin's face and she rolled over on her bed once again, an aura that finally started to surround her: hope. 
     "Really? You're not playing a joke on me, right?" Yejin asked, her voice full of enthusiasm. She was excited. And, nervous, of course. But, mostly excited.
     "Yep! Thanks to the one and only: Park Jimin." Jimin said. Even though Yejin couldn't see it in person, she could see the boy bowing. Yejin giggled, "Yes, finally. After weeks, I can talk to him."

There was a slight pause from Jimin's side of the line, "Hey, Yejin?"

     "Yes, Jimin?"
     "I know this is probably random, but, why did you decide to start being nice all of a sudden?" Yejin paused herself.

     "It's not that I'm doubting you. I believe you, that you're changing. I just...find it...I don't know...strange?"
     "Why do you find it strange?" Yejin questioned, sitting up on her bed.
     "Nevermind. My head is playing tricks on me. It's late; goodnight, Yejin. Sweet dreams."
     "Goodnight, Jimin," she replied. The call ended abruptly after their goodbyes. Yejin placed her phone on the nightstand and went down to the kitchen for a glass of water. After spotting a picture she swore in her head she hasn't seen the past week she's been in that house, she walked over and took it off the clip.

     It was a picture of her and Jungkook when they were little. They were in his backyard playing with a sprinkler. She had a bitter-sweet smile on her face. She didn't know of this memory. This wasn't her memory, it was the other her. The smiles of the two kids were so wide it reached each ear. Yejin pinned the picture back on the fridge and turned around.

     "Yejin and Jungkook were the best of friends. Everyone thought they would get together sooner or later," Mr. Min said. Yejin, surprised, sat with Mr. Min at the dining table. He scooted a mug of tea over to her, "Do you like tea?"
     "Uh, yes, I do. Thank you, Mr. Min." That was a weird feeling to call her father by his last name.
     "Good," he chuckled, drinking his own cup of tea.

     They sat in silence together, staring at nothing but the wooden table. After a good ten minutes, Yejin spoke.

     "What was...you know...your daughter and Jungkook's relationship like?" Mr. Min looked up at her, his eyes holding back the tears that threatened to fall, "They were inseparable and always there for one another. I could take Yejin's car away for a week and he would be in the driveway to take her anywhere she wanted."
     "What happened, then?"
     "She started hanging out with these girls. At first, it was- sorry, it's...Yejin's mother." Mr. Min stood to answer the phone.

Yejin continued to sit at the dining room table as Mr. Min left. A numbing feeling filled her. She stared at the mug.

     "My father...who isn't my father...telling me about me who is not me." she whispered to herself. Yejin stood up and walked up to "her" bedroom.

3 Missed Calls

     "Why didn't you answer my call?" Bora's voice boomed through the phone.
     "Sorry, I was with my dad. We were talking."
     "Oh. That's okay. Anyway, I have made an appointment to get our hair done tomorrow after school for the party."
     "Actually, I have to-"
     "No, no! I can not cancel on me. We already said we'd go! See you at our parking spot tomorrow after school. Bye!" And the call ended.