28. Hypnotize

I'm a tad late 😟, sorry but I got caught up with rap reaction videos

Chapter song - Russell Westbrook On a Farm by Lil Dicky
_____________

Luca slinked carefully across the desert land, grateful that overheating as a vampire was an impossibility. The small Texan town that he had passed would be slated for death by his Masters if they saw so much as a glimmer of his true skin, hence the black robes that were standard for one of the Guard. Admittedly, the two humans that he had drained and carefully arranged in a fiery car crash had been beyond help, but the Volturi tracker didn't savor the murder and mayhem that so many other older vampires did. No, he just enjoyed the hunt of it all.

The gift of tracking vampires was both a gift and a curse. When he had been free to roam and devoid of any bonds of loyalty, other vampires had been easy to avoid. Loneliness was hardly an issue when he had traveled the world and saw such beauty that it had made up for the human blood he had spilt in order to maintain his sanity. By his third century, Luca had stopped feeling guilty.

Perhaps that sin was why he had met Olivia in the first place. He had caught a silky scent on a breeze one day, and his curiosity about its source had overwhelmed all his good senses. She had ended up being the most beautiful vampire he'd ever seen, and he had dared tried to talk to her.

   La sua discarica. In his ignorance, the black robes that she had worn hadn't meant anything to him at the time. Olivia the Shadow had been impressed by his ability to follow her, and Luca had been trussed up and delivered to the Ancients' counsel within the span of a few days. He hadn't even gotten any kisses from it. And now he found himself avoiding land mines and booby traps in the godforsaken desert in order to condemn others to the same fate.

What lunatics. These vampires could only be from the Southern Vampire Wars. He could remember tracking down the coven leaders responsible of that tragedy, and the Death Twins delivering final judgement. The newborns that they had slaughtered had been different from any that he had seen before, their eyes hard and ruthlessness ingrained to their pores. As those fires had burned high into the sky, Luca had sworn to avoid Texas with all the power that he had left.

   Finally, after nearly losing several limbs when the sand had shifted under his feet to reveal well-sharpened spikes, he spotted a lonely little cabin. The scents that had been given to him saturated the Earth well here, confirming that his targets were nearby.

   Shuddering in relief, Luca reached for the homing beacon in his pocket. A simple button press and the combative talents of the Guard would sky dive over their targets in the matter of hours. His job was done.

"Whatcha doing?" A thin, trilling voice froze him in his tracks.

   A tiny pipsqueak of a vampire smiled up at him. She was ridiculously small, the spikes of her inky black hair barely reaching his collarbone. How had he not seen her?

"Bit of a downdraft. Plus a lot of my dried blood is in that shack. Kind of a bummer if I think too hard about it." She sighed tragically. Her ruby eyes betrayed her newborn status.

One of his targets, although she was supposed to be a human. Whether she was in front of him or not, he still had a job to do. He pressed the button.

Or rather, tried to press the button. A sparkling white hand grabbed his wrist. And just like that, Luca found himself expertly pinned. "Are you sure you want to face the ire of the Volturi?" He calmly asked, curious by the predicament that he found himself in.

"Well you see, the little miss right here just told me that me and my mate are dust if we don't lend a hand, and I'm inclined to believe her." A masculine draw mused. "And as long as you don't see my face, I also believe that Mr. Aro really won't have a clue who I am, is that correct, Mary?"