May 24

The stage lights flicked on with a hiss, illuminating the dust floating around backstage. Murmurs carried from behind the curtain, where hundreds of audience members awaited the performance.

Closing night was Rosie's favorite part of any theatre production. Right before the last show when everyone was high on sleepless nights and a week of performances, desperate to make the best out of one last show. It was exhilarating.

Brie leaned against the costume rack, biting her nails. Her long hair was pinned up in an old-fashioned braid that twisted around her head. Heavy eyeliner and pale powder made her brown eyes glow against her skin.

Rosie snuck up behind Brie and popped out. "Nervous?"

Brie jumped.

"Don't be. You did fine last night and the night before that..." Rosie's mom had come opening night and loved it so much, she'd been back every performance since. Her dad, on the other hand, had declined his invitation.

"This is different. My family is out there." Brie's wide eyes stared at the heavy black curtain, almost like she could see through it. "My mom, my dad, my sister. Luis is out there. If I mess anything up, I'll be hearing about it for months. What if something really embarrassing happens? What if I faint?"

"Well, if you faint, townsperson number five will be right behind to catch you." Rosie grabbed Brie's clammy hand. It was true. In all three of Rosie's scenes, the director had positioned her next to Brie. She got to see the audience's wonder at Brie's line delivery first-hand.

The introductory music halted suddenly and the director's voice boomed on the loudspeaker: "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Lafayette Theatre..."

"I'm gonna throw up," Brie wheezed. Rosie smiled. Brie said that before every performance; it had almost become part of the show.

"Break a leg." Rosie backed away from the sightlines of the audience and took her place in the left wing, where she could watch the action unfold. As soon as the curtain rose and the booming applause began, Rosie knew this was their largest audience yet.

Brie was brilliant as always, delivering lines with just the right sass and charisma to gain the audience's affection. From her hidden spot, Rosie could see the audience's faces creased in sadness when Beth was carried offstage.

"I'm so proud of you," Rosie whispered as Brie ran over to her.

Brie looped her arm around Rosie's shoulder and rested her head. "Thanks for forcing me to audition. I still can't believe this really happened."

They stood in the wing for the rest of the show, Brie's head on Rosie's shoulder, both dressed in ridiculous long dresses, both trying to soak in the last few minutes of the project they had worked so hard on.

And before they knew it, their final performance was over. The entire cast of Little Women gathered onstage for bows. Blinding lights shone into Rosie's face, making her stage makeup begin to melt. The smile on her face spread uncontrollably. This was it. The final show.

When Brie went up for a solo bow, the audience roared almost as loudly as they did for Jo.

The curtain closed with a swish and the cast was left in the dark, crying and hugging. Something inside Rosie plummeted. Little Women was finished. No more waiting around backstage, no more ugly costumes, no more watching Brie's face light up on stage. It was over. Forever.

Rosie looked around for Brie, but she was lost in the crowd of overly-tired actors, so Rosie left to change backstage. She tossed on a t-shirt and leggings, not bothering to wipe off her makeup. Behind the door to the hallway, Rosie could hear the friends and family of the actors waiting for them to appear.