October 22

~130 Days till Leap Day~

Which was why, eight days later, when Rosie had still not finished her brainstorming worksheet, she took the long route to English. Maybe if she slipped in right when the bell rang, Mr. Dranoski would have already checked in all the homework and he would forget about hers.

It was early in the school year and teachers were still strict about being tardy, which meant Rosie had the hallway to herself. The dim yellow light seemed to soak into the tan lockers, making the hallways look sickly. Rosie didn't mind. It was so unnaturally empty, she could hear her sneakers squeaking on the tile floor.

One minute until the bell for period one. Rosie quickened her pace. She didn't want to actually be late to the Dragon's class. The last thing she needed was another detention threat in front of everybody. She hurried past a stairwell, toward the English hallway, but a sound caught her attention.

Rosie paused. There was somebody crying in the stairwell. Rosie stood there in the empty hallway, listening to the sniffling. She really didn't want to be late to English, but she couldn't just leave.

Before she could think better of it, Rosie swiveled around and ducked her head into the stairwell.

A girl was crouched in the hallway, her knees pulled up to her chest and her head in her hands. Her long, dark hair pooled out of the side of her sweatshirt, matted with tears and frizzed with static against the cinderblock wall. Rosie inched further into the stairwell. "Brie?"

Brie's tear-stained face looked up, startled. "Oh! Rosie." She burst into a fresh round of tears. The bell for period one buzzed through the hallway.

Rosie stepped toward her. "What's wrong? I thought you had your science presentation period one?"

Brie nodded, trying to hold in a sob. She was wearing glasses today; Rosie had never known she needed glasses.

"I...can't...do it."

"Brie, I know you can do it." Rosie sank onto the floor next to her and leaned against the wall. Rosie reached out and pulled Brie's fogged-up glasses off her nose. Brie tried to pull away and hide her tear-stained face. Mascara trailed down her face. When had Brie started wearing mascara?

"Rosie, you don't understand. I get so nervous before presentations. I feel like I'm gonna throw up." Brie sobbed into the arm of her sweatshirt. "I...I can't do it."

Rosie put her arm around Brie and stroked her shoulder. She'd never done that before. She probably should have done that before.

"I'm...sorry." Brie started hiccuping. "You should....get to class. I...I promise I'll stop crying soon."

"It's okay," Rosie whispered. "It's okay to cry sometimes."

Rosie could feel how deeply Brie was hurting and she wished she could take it away. How come Brie could see so much beauty and depth in Rosie and she couldn't see the same in herself? Rosie couldn't bring herself to tell Brie all she was thinking. It was too vulnerable, too private, and if Brie turned her away, Rosie might fall apart.

Brie, still crying, let her head fall onto Rosie.

Rosie's heart skipped a beat.

"Brie." Rosie stroked her hair. It was dry and frizzy from all the straightening. Her hair was so beautiful. Her mind was even more beautiful. How could she not see that?

Brie wiped her nose with the sleeve of her sweatshirt. "I'm a hideous mess."

Rosie shook her head. "You're a beautiful mess."

They sat there for the longest time. A few people passed up or down the stairs. Rosie didn't look up and they didn't stare. Brie's tears faded into sniffling and eventually she stopped.

Brie sat up and took her glasses from Rosie. Rosie's arm was cool where Brie's cheek had been. The soft imprint of Brie's skin lingered on Rosie's arm.

Rosie was in no hurry to let go of the feeling, but as Brie started fumbling with her backpack straps, Rosie scooted away. Brie's hands were shaking on the zipper of her backpack. It was hard to tell with Brie, but Rosie was almost sure she was blushing.

She touched Brie's arm. "I know you don't believe me, but I think you'll do great. I wish I could watch." Brie shook her head and Rosie continued. "I don't know why you can't see it, but...you're so...beautiful."

Brie looked like she was about to cry again. Then she leaned forward, until Rosie could see every inch of her tear-stained face and her carefully concealed pimples, and Brie kissed her.

It was all so quick. Brie was crying and then they were kissing.

They were so close. But at the same time, Rosie wanted to be even closer. Brie's hand on her arm, Rosie's hand on her waist. Brie's warm lips pressing into hers. Rosie's mind was whirling.

Brie was kissing her! At school!

As Rosie was about to take Brie's face in her hands, Brie pulled away.

The side of Brie's lip twitched upward and then she turned away. Rosie leaned against the wall and closed her eyes. The echo of Brie was still on her lips. She was flying.

They stood up, avoiding eye contact. Rosie reached for a hug, but Brie was turning to go, so Rosie's hand knocked into her backpack. She blushed. But unlike with Brie, it was visible.

Rosie tried to cover up her clumsiness. "You'll do great, Brie. Do you want me to walk with you? I'm like ten minutes late to English anyway."

Brie grabbed Rosie's hand, then let it slide away as she started down the hall.

Was that a yes?

Brie smiled so Rosie could see her crooked tooth. "No, not today. I can't have my girlfriend getting eaten by the Dragon."