October 14

~138 Days till Leap Day~

Of course, good things didn't last forever and Rosie was a junior, after all. So when Mr. Dranoski assigned a ten page research paper the Monday after homecoming, Rosie was hardly surprised. Tessa, on the other hand, was mutinous.

"How dare he?" she whispered to Rosie while they were supposed to be brainstorming. "How dare he?"

The classroom was arranged in rows, with tiny, cramped desks that squeaked every time Rosie adjusted her legs. Rosie and Tessa were both at the end of their respective rows, which was the only place in the classroom Rosie dared to talk.  Mr. Dranoski kept guard over them from his desk up front, his eyes peering up from his grading and scanning the classroom every few minutes.

"I know. I think he's trying to torture us. How was your homecoming?"

"Oh, it was amazing!" Tessa squealed.  "I went with my volleyball friends and we found the cutest little diner beforehand. And then after the dance, we all had a sleepover at my apartment.  I mean, I'm sure you had fun too with your little group, but this was the most fun I've ever had at homecoming.  We baked muffins and stayed up all night. .."

Tessa launched into a summary of her sleepover and Rosie zoned out.  Honestly, this class was trying to kill her with boredom.  She watched Mr. Dranoski eyes flit across the paper he was reading. He ran his hand down his bristly hair, sighed deeply, and scribbled something in red pen. 

English was Rosie's least favorite class-- and not just because she had to see Mr. Dranoski first thing in the morning. The heating system in the classroom was broken, so sometimes it was freezing cold and other times it was boiling. Today the room was freezing and Rosie stuck her hands under her legs to try to warm them.

Tessa leaned over the side of her desk. Rosie had almost forgotten she was talking to her. "Sorry I didn't go to the dance with you, Rosie. I missed you. But we can still go together next year. Once he's graduated."

"You're really not going to make up with Pablo?"

Tessa snorted. "I've been counting down the days until he graduates."

Rosie felt her chest sink.  This was her last year with all six of her friends together-- and they weren't even talking.

Mr. Dranoski scratched his goatee and swept his gaze around the classroom. "Hey! Rosie Hirschel! Back to work!"

Rosie blushed and looked down at her blank worksheet. She had no idea what to write. Her mind was at capacity. She had hours of homework. And her mom had a list of chores for her at home. And Drama Club was starting and Rosie was supposed to make posters. It was all too much and she just wanted to be able to enjoy the changing leaves outside before Chicago plunged into six months of winter.

"So how was homecoming with Hailey?" Tessa whispered.

Rosie stiffened in her seat. Tessa had the habit of forgetting about people she didn't deem interesting enough.

"Brie was there too, you know."

"Oh yeah. Brie." Tessa wrinkled her nose. "I've never understood why you're so obsessed with her."

Rosie felt herself redden.

"She's in my math class, you know." Tessa was a year ahead in math, so she took calculus with the seniors. "She doesn't say anything. She just sits there."

"So?" Rosie wanted to punch Tessa. "She's shy." She had never actually seen Brie in class, but Tessa was being totally uncalled for.

Mr. Dranoski stood up from his chair with a squeal and marched down the aisle. "Tessa and Rosie, if you don't stop talking now, we'll be having a talk in detention." The veins on the side of his forehead were popping out as he returned to his seat. Rosie wondered if he had been a drill sergeant before he became a teacher.

As soon as Mr. Dranoski reached his desk, Tessa started whispering again. Why didn't she understand that Rosie didn't want detention with the Dragon?

"So...you like Brie?"

Rosie sighed. She was never going to finish her brainstorming worksheet. "We kissed, okay."

Tessa's eyes widened. "So are you dating now?"

Rosie hesitated. Were they? Sort of. They weren't going out with anyone else. Then again, it was just a kiss.

Tessa shook her head. "If you haven't defined your relationship, that's a bad sign."

"Really?"

"Oh, sure! Look at Hailey and Zach. Just friends. That's a mess waiting to happen."

Rosie drummed her pencil on her desk. Were she and Brie dating or weren't they? Rosie felt like she would know if they were. Plus, Brie was a senior. What if she was eighteen already? How was Rosie supposed to know if Brie was open to a relationship? She'd have to wait for Brie to make the first move. Like that would ever happen.

Rosie never got around to finishing her brainstorming worksheet.