Chapter 1 ~guilt~

Start from the beginning

 I was bored, that part was clear.  I mean it wasn't like I was jumping for joy to come to this thing. 

  I mean who would want to step out of their comfort zone and greet a billion people they don't know for a one night extravaganza? Not me. I shut my eyes and sunk deep into the cushion. 

 It was peaceful for a moment, then with the sound of a squeak of a cushion next to me I saw my mothers' gaze on me. Her eyes were as green as emeralds, which bored into mine. She seemed to understand my composed features as she drew in my tired eyes, though after a moment her eyes brightened with joy.

"Come with me!" she squealed.

I looked at her bewildered, waiting for her to explain her sudden excitement but she didn't say anything else, she just hopped up from the couch and dragged me by the hand down the hall. 

 Once we reached the elevator, we got in and pressed one to head to the main floor.  Her eyes scanned my face for a moment.

"How about I give you an exclusive tour of the vault?!" she asked excitedly.

Almost immediately my eyes bulged out of their sockets.

"Really!?" I asked with disbelief.

  I could only imagine what my face looked like. Probably a lot like a child on Christmas morning.  I had been with my mom at work many times before, but to get a private tour? 

That was just unreal to me, but then again I was only 13 then.  Her smile brightened as we exited the lift, her hand in mine, dragging me towards the back of the room. From the corner of my eye I could have swore I saw something, so I had stopped dead in my tracks. My hand, no longer in hers felt like a crime as I scanned the room.

"What's wrong?" she asked confused.

I could feel her presence near my back. I knew I had seen something, but nothing was there. The room was darker now than I remembered it was when we had first came in.

"N-nothing." I stuttered as I turned around to face her. I looked back behind me again.

 "I just thought I saw....?"  When I turned to face her again her face was horrified.  Wrinkles creased her forehead, fear running though her veins and she quickly whispered something I didn't catch the first time.

"Ashley. Run." She mouthed again.

This time I caught what she had tried to tell me.

"Go back the way we came and find your father." She whispered.

Her words were so quite I barley heard her at all. Panic ran in my veins as I whirled around awaiting to see what she had. 

Four men in black stealthy uniforms glided across the room. Each holding a gun in the air, pointing straight for us. I gasped in fear as my moms' sweaty hands tugged me away from their dark stares.

"Ashley, go!" She urged, shaking my arm.

Her attempt to break my stare succeeded but only for a moment.  I would not leave her. I would stay strong and be there for her like she had always done for me.

"No." I mumbled, fighting the urge to break down.

Her eyes stared into mine for a moment and then glanced back at the intruders.

"I'm not leaving you!"

Her eyes where pained, and from that point I'm sure she knew what I certainly didn't for what was to come.