Old Sins

7.30 PM, Dhuala Kuan, New Delhi

DJ's Mansion.

Allahu Akbar! Allahu Akbar! Allahu Akbar! Allahu Akbar!

Ashhadu an la ilaha illa Allah. Ashhadu an la ilaha illa Allah....

Suman closed her eyes and softly whispered along, in tune with night time Isha prayer heard all over their neighbourhood from the local mosque.

In vain, she hoped it would soothe her turbulent mood. Her throat and lips felt as parched as her heart, and she shook her head resignedly.

Neither the soft pillows against which she lay propped up on her bed nor the cool breeze coming from the windows brought any relief either. Her physical ailments were the last thing on her mind at the moment, even though she terribly regretted not going to the temple, for the first time this year. The Doctor who checked on her yesterday said all the symptoms of weakness and breathlessness were due to the infection and fever, but she knew better. Diabetes and rheumatism had been part of her life for many years now, like many other obese people. But she never let them affect her life, or at least tried her best not to.  It was the mental trauma and stress that had sucked out all the willingness to fight against the infections harbouring inside her body.

Suman never considered herself as a fighter but she knew she had to survive, and be strong to look after her family at all costs. Especially when her second child was not just her own, but an offspring of a kind and noble soul like Nirmala. A second child that she never wanted to conceive or give birth to, if she had the choice. But when you were the wife of a heinous criminal like Dharam Singh Shekhawat, choice is the last thing you could hope for in your life. He wanted another son and he was ready to force himself on her to get what he wished for.

His attitude towards her became more vicious after his cunning escape from a jail in Rajasthan, where he was arrested by the border forces for smuggling drugs across the border. Being a hunted man, made him even more desperate  to re-establish and expand his business and he knew that only his family would stick with him, whether out of fear or obligation. He had already began to train DJ and he wanted one more son continue his legacy, no matter what.

The young bride of Suraj Bhai, Kiran, was the only friend that she could confide and seek solace from, during those dark times, since she knew exactly what a monster Dharam Singh was.

Kiran was the sister of a rival gang leader, and to settle scores with him, Dharam Singh abducted and locked her up. Suman never knew the details nor she bothered to know what happened, but in the end, thankfully, Suraj Bhai managed to persuade his boss Dharam Singh to spare Kiran and married her instead. Kiran was determined not to have kids, and Suraj Bhai supported her in every way, in spite of snide remarks from the rest of the gang. Her joy knew no bounds when Kiran became a nurse in the government hospital and was relieved to have a known and trusted figure around, when she got her second child delivered at the same hospital.

Kiran loved Loki, almost like her own child, and Suman was grateful for all the support she got from her. Only to realize later that Kiran's excessive love for Loki also had a great element of guilt and fear. Fear of wrath from the same monster, who almost ruined her life and still continued his terrorising hold on her, despite all her attempts to live a respectable life.  Dharam Singh was never a caring father, for he treated DJ as nothing more than a tool to spread his criminal activities. But his attitude towards Loki was even worse and almost cruel,  which baffled Suman for a long time. She became even more protective about Loki, and with the help of DJ who doted on his little brother, made sure that Loki is kept away from Dharam Singh as much as possible.