1: The close encounter with a wild soul; What does Death taste like?

The sun blazed, panting down on the city. It was quiet in the park except for a small bird in the tree beside them. A breeze rustled through the branches and the bird hopped closer. It was early spring, and the birds of Death City were filling the background with song.

The red-eyed boy smiled. His Meister blushed. She took his hand and in a soft voice said his name, "Soul."

"Maka," He answered easily, giving her hand a gentle squeeze. Today was the day. He had decided that. He knew from the day they met four years ago. Sometimes he had been foolish - and fighting two years in a war hadn't exactly helped. Yet here they were, two years after Maka's bravery had destroyed the Kishin Asura, and he loved her even more. He'd known it would be her when she hadn't run from his song. But how was a weapon to tell his Meister...?

Maka's face fell. Soul frowned. Today had been mostly perfect, aside from Blair being... Well, Blair. So what was Maka upset about now?

"Do you feel that?" she asked. Her voice was still soft, but it now held an edgy note.

He sighed and reclaimed his hand, "You're the one who can see souls."

"It's coming closer...." Maka glanced around the empty park. Her body tensed, "It's so.... Cold..."

A cold soul? Soul scowled. Today wasn't the day after all. "What is it?"

It answered for him. A girl with thick red pigtails reaching the ground grabbed Maka's shoulders from behind. The sudden stop of fast movement sent a whirlwind of red hair whipping around the three of them.

The girl's yellow eyes were wild. She stood on her toes and licked Maka's cheek. "I want.... Your soul!" Her voice was light, airy, and all together too happy.

"Maka!" Soul shouted. He tried to grab her hand, but the yellow-eyed demon was too fast. They were halfway down the path by the time Soul could give chase. "DAMNIT!"

"Get off! Let me go!" Maka flailed. The weapon was unaffected by her attacks.

Rivin giggled, coming to a stop in the center of the graveyard. "This looks like a good place! It's all stitch-y and stuff!"

"What!?" Maka exclaimed. She suddenly found herself on her feet, staring at Dr. Stein's massive grey house, "Why did you bring me here?" She glared at her kidnapper. Delicate features and small stature would have made the girl a laughable opponent, had it not been for the coldness radiating from her bloody orange soul.

"Because, silly," Rivin grinned. Her teeth were sharp, small and seemed more carnivorous than most human teeth. Her large, long canines gave the Meister chills. "I want to eat your soul~" She straightened the high collar on her black leather vest, using the motion to also ensure that her bikini top was firmly tied. It wouldn't do to have it fall off now, after all.

Maka's eye twitched, "You can't do that! It's against the rules. You are a weapon, aren't you?" She wondered if that was all. With teeth like that, what kind of weapon could she be? She started to edge away, half helplessly hoping she could outrun her opponent.

"Yup, yup!" Rivin sang with a nod as she removed her shoes. She never did understand why she was obligated to wear them. The black leather thigh-highs lay dejectedly on the ground. Four inch metal heels glinted like malevolent daggers. "But your soul looks yummy..." There was a rush of wind and Rivin's nose touched Maka's. Her trembling fingertips touched Maka's solar-plexus. "Can I have it, please?"

Maka gasped and jumped away. It felt like a direct soul attack. Just what was this weapon? Who was her Meister? She didn't have time to wonder. Her opponent was dangerous and mad. She forced her own weapon side to awaken. A scythe slid out of each elbow, curving back around her body. Each was black with a jagged silver blade.