fifty six

Elle McBriar
August 11th, 6 months and 32 days since the last zombie report

I woke up a little after Paxton. Running my hands through his silky smooth hair.

Riley was awake and rolling around, his pale blue eyes boring into mine as I held him in my arms.

Paxton woke up, his eyes fluttering open.

"I could get used to this." He smiled, I cocked my head, "What?" I asked.

"Waking up to your face." He whispered.

I swooned, "Shut up. Your romantic side is showing." I teased. Paxton rolled his eyes.

"I'm serious. I love your eyes." His voice was raw, barely above a whisper as his fingers made contact with my face,  brushing a strand of hair away from my eyes.

A buzzer came through the intercom, "Lunch is being served in the dining hall."

I groaned, stretching my limbs as Paxton took my hands, cuddling me to his chest as I picked up Riley, heading to the dining hall.

I smiled at Alex and Gage who both looked like they just woke up from a nap.

I ignored Elaine, still mad at her. She didn't seem to notice though.

I clipped Riley into his high chair, scooping some yogurt onto a spoon and into his mouth. 

I spotted Elaine coming towards us and I felt myself fill with rage. She knows Paxton and I are together, why is she trying to get with him?

She smiled at me and I managed a toothy grin, "Can I sit with you guys?" She asked, placing her salad on the table, "Of course." Gage offered eagerly, beaming at her. Elaine giggled and smiled at him, thanking him. She was talking to Alex while I was feeding Riley, hearing my stomach grumble in response.

"You need to eat, Riles can way, Elle." Paxton said, nudging my shoulder. I shook him off, "It's fine." I said. All I wanted right now is to disappear. I'm sure Elaine is a good person, but right now she's pissing me off. Flirting with my... boy-friend and then my friends! Pick one, that's not mine!

A sour feeling washed over me as I saw Elaine slide her hand over Paxton's bicep, laughing loudly. I stood up, "You know what? I'm not hungry anymore." I state, glaring at Elaine and the rest of them.

As I left, I heard Alex say 'what's her problem?' My problem... is that the woman who welcomed us into her safe space, is flirting with the guy I like and most likely love! 

I head to my bedroom, closing and locking the door.

Throwing myself onto the bed I scream harshly into the pillow, flipping over. I remember I have art things in my side drawer and pull them out, drawing calms me down. 

Gripping the pencil in my hand, I sketched out a drawing of a person. A head, the nose, the eyes, the lips. I already knew who it was going to be and I hadn't even finalised the little details yet. 

I shaded the hair with the grey pencil, smudging it with my thumb. I traced and outlined and drew until my hand hurt. Until the face was complete and the picture was almost done. It'd been hours and no one has come to see me, or talk to me. 

I frowned, I at least expected someone to calm talk to me. Tell me I'm being ridiculous. But I guess note.

* * * 

I went to bed last night without dinner. I haven't spoken to anyone since lunch yesterday.

I didn't sleep with Paxton or growl at Elaine. I didn't say goodnight to Riley or see Megan. I know I'm being dramatic when I say 'maybe they've forgotten about me' but the thought has crossed my mind once or twice.

I sighed, slipping my tank over my head as I tied my plaid shirt around my waist. Pairing it with black leggings and white socks. 

I headed out of my room, rubbing my tired eyes. I heard laughter echo down the walls as I got closer to the dining hall. I felt my throat constrict as I saw Paxton, Alex and Gage laughing with Elaine as they ate breakfast. Waffles and orange juice.

They stared at me as I came in, no one saying a word. I silently walked past them, grabbing a small bowl of cereal before I went to the library. 

I don't care if we're not allowed to eat in there, I don't want to be around them right now.

I said 'hello' to Sophia the librarian as I made my way to the fiction section, sitting down on an arm chair with my cereal as I opened a book I picked out.

A love story. A rich guy falls for a poor girl. Their families forbid it, but they figure out a way. Forbidden love. I smile as I read through the pages.

It reminds me of Paxton and I in a way. He didn't like me at first, and then he warmed up to me the more he got to know me. It was only a short book so I was finished with it almost immediately. I put it back on the shelf and took my empty bowl back to the dining hall.

Since no one was in there, I left it on the counter and walked away. My mind curious. I just went back to my room, finishing off the drawing from yesterday.

I coloured in the eyes with a dark brown, mixing it with a yellow and gold to give it the effect of honey. I coloured in the lips a pink-ish red, to indicate love. You guessed it, it's Paxton. I think... I love him.

I think I love him and it hurts. I've never loved anyone before and it consumes me. Like it consumed Liam and Hannah in the book I read. He seems to be pulling away from me and I have a feeling that maybe he's sick of me. 

I was writing my signature at the bottom of the page when I heard a knock at my door. Staying silent, I waited for them to leave. But the door opened and Paxton came in, "Sophia told me you might be here." I didn't looked at him, "I was looking for you and Sophia said you had just left. So I checked here." 

I was listening to what he had to say, but I'm not talking to him. 

"What are you doing?" He asked, sitting on the bed next to me.

I shoved the picture into his hands as I stood up, taking off my shirt as I walked into the bathroom. I closed the door. But I didn't lock it, because I wanted to see what he'd do!

I turned on the water, letting it heat up before I climbed inside. I peeled my pants off, letting my hair flow down my shoulders as it stuck to my back, the water warming me up.

I heard the door opened as I closed my eyes, a satisfying feeling relaxing my shoulders. He still wants me. A gush of cold air made me shiver as I felt another presence in the shower with me. Hands gripped my waist as I opened my eyes.

Paxton's eyes were wild. He was searching my facial features, analysing my body, looking me up and down, "My God you're beautiful. I love your body." He said.

"I love you." I said, my eyes growing wide as I realised what just slipped out.

Oh shit.

* * * 

hi

qotd: how are you?