twenty two

Elle McBriar
July 30th, 4 months and 18 days after the first zombie report

I woke up feeling refreshed. My body still hurt like a bitch, as it always does after you've been bled dry and beaten. But I felt good. Paxton did a good job of making me right again.

Although, our 'moment' has been playing over and over in my head. It sparked interest in me, it's weird. I feel weird about it all.

Despite that, I got out of bed and got changed. Denim shorts and a plain grey tee.

I headed into the kitchen, the first face I see is Riley, smiling as he bounces around in his highchair, "Hi buddy. I missed you, yes I did." I cooed, picking him up and swinging him around as he giggled. 

"How come you didn't hug us like that? We saved your life?" Alex pouted. I put Riley down and hugged Alex, his arms tightening around me, basically crushing me, "Careful. She's fragile." A new said. It was Gage, hobbling into the kitchen as he sat on a chair, "Hey there cripple buddy, feeling better?" I asked, bending down to give him a quick hug, "Yes actually. I feel fine." He yawned.

"What're you making?" I asked, taking a seat next to Riley, who turned to face me, "What do you think I'm making?" He chuckled, "Toast? Or eggs Benedict without the Benedict?" I asked, "Waffles, actually. We found some stored away in the container." 

Ooh, waffles sounds heavenly.

While I waited for Alex to cook the waffles outside in the fire pit, Paxton came out, looking grumpier than usual, "Hey man." Gage said, Paxton ignored him, "Who pissed in your corn flakes this morning." Gage laughed.

I stayed out of it. Is he angry because of last night? Because of what I did?

Deciding not to pry, I just walked to the sink and turned the tap to hot, waiting for it to steam before I poured some into a cup. Mixing in the instant coffee, I took a sip, burning my tongue as I walked outside.

"It's such a beautiful day. I wish we could go swimming." I sighed. How wonderful it would be to go swimming right now, "I know, I'm sorry. But we got to finish this shed." Alex said, nodding to the half-way finished shed.

All they have to do is build the underground bit and coat in some walls and bam, finished.

"Can you take these inside?" Alex asked, handing me a plate full of stacked waffles, "Sure." I smiled, holding it with both hands.

"Foods ready." I said, placing it on the table. Grabbing the syrup and butter, I sat down next to Riley again, handing out the plates as all 3 boys came rushing to the table. Alex brought in another full plate of waffles stacked to the brim. What a treat.

As I waited for the boys to grab there's, I unclipped Riley from his highchair, placing him on my lap. He clapped his hands together and held onto the table. I love this kid.

We ate in silence, small chatter every so often. 

And then the boys went to work, leaving me alone with Riley. I didn't blame them, if any of the boys were in the state I was in right now, I wouldn't want them working either. But they're not me, and I want to do something. I hate being in the same place and doing nothing.

My God I want to go swimming.

* * * 

It was around lunchtime when my craving for swimming became stronger. I just want to dip my head under the water and feel the water glide across my toes. 

I was making sandwiches for the boys. White bread, fake meat, lettuce and tomatoes. I made two each and one for me, after still being full for breakfast.

I let the sandwiches sit for a second while I went into my room, opening the curtains so the sun shone through and got changed.

I left my denim shorts on, but I put my black bikini top on.

I know, I know. You packed a swimsuit but not normal clothes? I packed in a rush, I basically grabbed what was in the washing basket and on the floor. It's not my fault.

I tied the string around my neck and back, my bare chest covered in small scratches. I'm not embarrassed of my scars, I just feel ugly. But who cares. Not me, anymore.

"Lunch is served." I called out in a fake British accent. I headed to the grass, laying on my back in the sun as I waited for the boys to join me. I heard Gage and Paxton running over as Alex climbed down off the roof.

"Wow, these looks great, Elle." Alex said excitedly, sitting cross-legged on the grass beside me.

I shielded my eyes with my hands, watching Riley as he crawled between my legs. 

I sat quietly with the boys as they ate their lunch, occasionally piping into their conversation when it felt needed. It's such a beautiful day outside, I don't want it to go to waste.

After lunch was finished, I got up off the grass, brushing off the loose pieces with my hand. Riley was crawling around at my feet as I stretched, my back cracking as I let my arms fall limply by my side. I picked up Riley and held on my side, heading back inside.

As I did so, I felt a feeling as though I was being watched. I did a subtle turn around, seeing Paxton and Gage quickly turn there heads back to what they were doing. I smirked, these boys act like they've never seen a half naked girl before.

I sigh, huffing around the kitchen, putting stuff away as usual. Doing nothing in particular. I'm bored. I want to do what the boys are doing. I want to explore or go hunting or something.

Anything that prevents me from staying inside. 

The boys came back inside after the sun began to set. Alex and Paxton managed to pick up a game of cards and a pack of uno, so here we are, playing uno. I was sat in the corner seat, next to Riley, Paxton was opposite Alex who was opposite Gage who was opposite me. It made perfect sense. 

No one could cheat.

I held onto my cards, excited to use the ones I got. My Dad and I used to play competitively and then I eventually got better and began to beat him. But Paxton and Alex were on either side of me, Paxton either skips me, reverses me or makes me pick up almost every time. 

So you know what that means, time for revenge.

Alex smirked, he put down a pick up 2 cards. So I did. For once I wasn't skipped, which I was grateful for. But now it's my time to shine. I looked over at Paxton who looked just as confident as I did. 

"Pick up 12 Paxton. And make it yellow." I smirked. His smile completely faded as he glared down at the 4+ pick up cards on the table. Alex and Gage laughed and waited for him to pick up the cards, "I hate this game anyway." Paxton growled, giving up as he put his cards on the table, "I'm not playing anymore." He said, "Come on dude it's just a game. Just admit that she smoked your ass." Gage mocked.

I watched him retreat to his room.

Victory smells great.

* * * 

hii

hope you're enjoying so far :))

happy reading!!