fifteen

Paxton Price
July 23rd, 4 months and 11 days after the first zombie report

Alex told me that Elle saved my life.

After I was shot, they took me straight here. Gage tried to stop the bleeding but it kept coming. So they brought me here. Apparently Elle stopped the bleeding, stitched me up and bandaged me. Which I am forever grateful for.

"You better get some rest man, you won't be doing much moving for the next week or so, so, get comfy." Gage mocked, smirking. He knows my weakness is sitting still. I hate not moving, or being able to do stuff. I also promised Gage that he could be in charge next. So now it's his turn. 

"Yeah I'll go in a sec, I gotta thank Elle first." I said, hopping off the table. Whenever I moved, it hurt. The painkillers haven't kicked in yet but I hope they do quick because I'm not about to cry in front of everybody because it hurts.

"Elle?" I called out, hearing no reply. 

Alex and Gage said goodnight to me. I dragged the torch along the hallway, holding my side as I limped towards her door. She wasn't in her room. Her bed was messy and un-kept, her closet door wide open.

Alex told me Elle hid Riley in her closet? Why? Was it the storm?

"Elle?" I called out a second time. I heard shuffling in the bathroom and turned my light onto there. I knocked on the door, "J-just uh, give me a second." She stuttered. Fussing about and seconds later the door was opened. I didn't get a chance to talk to her because she sped past me, heading back into the kitchen.

It's not tag Elle, slow down. I limped back into the kitchen, watching her muck about with towels and medical supplies, "What are you doing?" I ask, "Cleaning. The blood was stain if we don't clean." 

I watched as she dropped to her knees and began scrubbing the ground, soapy water flooded the hard-tiled floor, "Hey Elle, you don't need to do that now." I told her. She ignored me, scrubbing harder, "Come on, go to bed. It's late." I said again, "I don't need to sleep. I-I need to clean and get this stuff away." 

She stood up, wringing the bloody water into the sink, "Elle, listen to me. We can all clean it tomorrow, I promise." I said tiredly, it's been a long day and we all need to sleep, "I can't Paxton, what don't you understand? I-I need to clean this, okay? You go to bed, and rest." 

"I can't do that. Not until you're in bed." 

I walked over to her, she was on the ground again, picking up the band aids, and gaze and scissors. My blood was still all over her hands. I touched her shoulder, she's shaking, and freezing cold, "Okay Elle, that's enough. Stand up." I said.

I took her by the shoulders and hoisted her up, so she was standing in front of me. Her face wasn't facing me though. I took her chin with my hand, tilting it towards me.

I was surprised to see the very evident tears that were rolling down her cheeks. They splattered onto her damp shirt, "Elle what? Why are you crying? What happened?" I softened my features, her eyes closing as both my hands went to hold her face.

"Nothing, it's silly. I-I'm fine, I swear." She pulled away from my touch and I felt cold. 
"Tell me." I took the towel she had in her hand and threw it behind me, "Forget about this okay? Forget about today and tell me what's wrong? You just saved my Goddamn life, now it's your turn to tell me what's wrong." I demanded.

She didn't say anything for a while, she just stared at me, "I didn't save your life, I just helped. I didn't do anything really. I never doing anything. I'm not-"
"Elle are you kidding? Without you here we probably wouldn't have survived another week let alone the rest of our lives. I know you think we're using you but we genuinely care. You take care of Riley, of me? You freaking stitched me up and have the audacity to say that you didn't save my life?"