five

Elle McBriar
July 20th, 4 months and 8 days after the first zombie report 

I woke up with my head on someones shoulder. I woke up the humming of a motor and the darkness surrounding me. It seriously feels like I'm being kidnapped.

I massaged my neck, looking around to see I was in a van. And I was leaning on Gage's shoulder. Gage also looked half asleep. The seatbelt clipped into his side as his eyes were half open and shut, his arms holding baby Riley.

"I can take the baby, if you want." I whispered, seeing Gage nod. I took Riley from him, cradling the baby close to me, feeling him stir in his sleep. Then I looked over and surely enough, Gage was asleep, head bouncing up and down on the window as he slept.

"What time is it?" I ask softly, "Uh around 1am. We're about 20 minutes away from our destination." Alex said, looking at my in the rear-view mirror. But we left at like 4pm, it's only an hour to New York. "We ran into some complications, aka, car pile up, zombies and we had to get food for Riley." My confusion turned to realization and I nodded.

For the rest of the drive, we were silent. Paxton driving, Alex in the passenger, Gage asleep beside me and baby Riley in my arms. It seemed peaceful. Even though we're the only people left on Earth.

The van stopped after a bit and I looked through the tinted windows, it was dark. Really dark. No lights, fires or even a torch to see. But the moon and stars were casting a glow on he ruble. I gasped.

The big apple. Beautiful times square. It's gone. Cars upon cars, taxis, buses and bikes were molded together. Leaning against a collapsed building. Telephone wires, metal rods and sharp object stuck out of the ground. Broken glass and trash was littered everywhere.

It's a ghost town.

I got out, crunching over the weeds that grew around my feet. I followed the boys around, not wanting to be left alone.

"Where are we going?" I ask, looking around.
"No where for now, we're securing the perimeter." I nodded, safety is always first.

We headed back to the van, seeing Gage emptying the drivers seat as we approached him.

"Sad isn't it. New York is.. gone." Gage said sadly, looking up at the once beautiful buildings that were now a pile on the ground, "It's good for us though. Because tomorrow we build. We scavenge, hunt and steal anything we can." Paxton said firmly, looking at me.

"We've got a list sorted out. Who's doing what. I'm on weapons-" Paxton said, looking rather proud of himself, "Gage is on house hunting, including beds, furniture and anything else useful like that." Gage nodded, crossing his arms over his chest, "Alex. You're on safety, traps. You know the drill. Telescope in the highest place, bullets in the magazines, you know what you're doing."

Then Paxton turned to me, "Elle. You're on food. Grab a cart, a basket, anything big enough to store food. You find as many things as you can, double up on shit okay? Water, medicine, medical supplies, baby food. You got it?" I nodded. At least I'm useful for today.

"Who's taking Riley tomorrow?" Alex asked, the boys didn't say anything, I smiled, "I can take him. There's no harm in a little grocery shopping right." I said, looking down at Riley who was still asleep, "Alright then, it's settled. Gage, you set up beds for tonight, I'll set up watch station." 

I sat on the concrete, baby Riley snuggled in my arms. He was wearing a starfish onesie and was wrapped in a thin blanket. Do babies get cold? Do they feel temperature?

The van was bigger enough for all of us, surprisingly. We put the weapons bin, bags and other things in the front, sitting on the dash and passenger seat. Then blankets are settled on the floor.