twelve

Elle McBriar
July 22nd, 4 months and 10 days after the first zombie report

Aka, the worst day ever!

7 HOURS BEFORE

I woke up around 9, with Alex's arms still around me. 

Despite only getting a few hours of sleep, I felt pretty replenished.
The only downside, it was raining today. It wasn't cold, in fact the air was hot but the rain was cold. So it narrowed it out.

I squirmed out his arms, hearing his shouts in protest to come back so he could sleep more.

"Sorry sleeping beauty, but I promised I'd cook breakfast, lunch and dinner. So I'd better hop to it!"

Cracking one egg on a tin-foil wrapped plate, I sprinkled a little salt and pepper into it, flipping it over. Open fires tend to cook things very quickly, so I have to be quick.

I turned the tap to hot, poured one teaspoon of raw instant coffee into each miss-matched coffee cup and started on the healthy stuff.

"What smells like heaven?" I hear, turning around to see a groggy Paxton making his way inside, "This is Elle's zombie apocalypse attempt at making eggs Benedict, without the Benedict."

Making Paxton's plate first, perfectly grilled toast, freshly made, seasoned eggs and a tiny bit of mayonnaise mixed with yellow food coloring.

"I applaud your attempt, lets just hope it lives up to it's expectations." Paxton smirked, picking up his knife and fork, "As you wish Gordon Rasmey." I teased, Paxton took a bite, a monotone look on his face, "I give it, an 8 out of 10, only because of the sauce."

I scoffed, "Stupid sauce."

5 HOURS BEFORE

After filling up the van with gas (just in case) and doing another count on the weapons, we decided to stay inside today. Considering the weather.

"I wish someone had cards." Gage sighed, crossing his arms like a kid, "Hey man, it was your idea to stay inside." Alex argued, glaring at Gage, "It's practically a storm out there." Gage fretted, pointing to the window, "It's New York wind and rain, it's normal." Paxton said, annoyed, rolling his eyes."

"Why don't you make some cards, you have paper and pens, it's not that hard." I decided, getting sick of their bickering, "Because that's too much effort." Alex whined, "I agree, it'd be much easier to take the van for a spin and go find some cards." Paxton offered, jingling the keys, "No. We're not leaving." Gage ordered, glaring at the two of them.

"This was the time I wished for TV." I mumbled under my breath. I crossed my legs over one another, not getting comfortable in the position I was in.

"Why don't we count how much food we have. See what we can ration, what needs to be eaten, that kind of stuff." Alex said, "Alex, that might've been the smartest thing I've ever heard come out of our your mouth." Paxton teased, slapping him on the back.

Alex rolled his eyes, "You coming? You need to keep us sane." He smiled, holding out his hand to me. I took it, his strong hands wrapping around mine as he pulled me up off the couch.

3 HOURS BEFORE

After spending over an hour looking through our food container and drink container, we calculated that, canned food could last 8 months, packets and sealed things, 6 months. Things like eggs, spices and bread, 4 months. The drinks could last pretty much forever, as long as they stayed cold.

"What? So we don't need to go grocery shopping for another, 5 months." Gage said, smiling excitedly, "Not true. We'll need to go for flour and yeast, sugar, maybe something stronger than instant coffee." Paxton said, rubbing his temples.