Chapter 1

I peered outside of the limousine window, watching as the dark rain of London fell in heavy, blustery sheets if water. It slid down raincoats and bounced off the colorful umbrellas of the people who were still outside before hitting the sidewalks, darkening them a depressing grey.

I had this theory about rain. I believed that the world was trying to get rid of all the bad things: Cancer, Killing, Drugs, etc. but it just can't for some odd reason so it just starts crying, giving birth to the rain. I admit, it wasn't a good theory but it was just something mystical to believe in just for the fun of it.

"Do you like the rain, Ms. Swing?" The chauffeur asks me, a weak attempt to start a conversation with me. His glossy blue eyes peek at me through the rear-view mirror as he waits, expecting an answer.

I shake my head and went back to looking at the lovely city of London. It was amazingly busy, business was the only thing on mind and it showed. People rushed about, quickly traveling to their destinations as fast as they could.

I pull at a stray thread on my jacket as we turn the corner. I hoped I was dressed appropriately with my light pink floral blouse, my cream brown jacket and my jean skirt with my beige Oxford shoes. I felt as if it was something a proper girl would wear since I really needed a good first impression on my soon-to-be "parents."

I hoped the way I looked would be a good sign too. My chestnut brown hair was in a Bohemian braided bun in a nice ordered fashion while I made sure my face was flawless of any of my imperfections. My skin was a creamy white with a flush of light pink on my big cheeks, my eyes were a smokey blue with the dark black eyeliner rimmed around my waterline and my lips were now a peachy slightly shiny color. I was immaculate, thanks to the cosmetic world of makeup.

I began to play with the heart-shaped golden pendent that rested on my chest as we near the big white mansion that would soon be my home. It was a beautiful, enchanting mansion. It was a smooth, matte white with two pillars that stood in the front of the fancy oak door, supporting part of the second story of the house. It had a big green lawn with a giant water fountain in the inner circle that stood in the center front. It was magical, I admit but I only cared about the people on the inside. You should never judge a book by it's cover as they say.

"Ms. Swing?" The chauffeur, Thomas I believed, asks me as he sees that my sight was captivated by the mansion. I couldn't help it though, it seemed like a dream to be living in here... which made me highly suspicious.

Thomas gets out of the car and goes to open my door. I grab my little purse and give a polite smile at him as I slip out gracefully out of the car. Grace was a speciality of mine, in ballet, grace was the unique key of a good dance and it added a certain rhythm to it that finished the dance with style. You can't have a good dance without grace, whether your skilled in Street, Tap, Modern or Ballet. It really didn't matter.

I felt like Cinderella when she took a first look at the castle. "Be back at midnight or the spell would become undone," Her fairy godmother would scold her. Well, fairy godmother, this is my new home now.

I take the ivory steps slowly, waving goodbye to Thomas, who drove away in the silver limousine after putting my luggage on the steps next to me. I wringed my hands together in slight nervousness. What if they don't like me because I don't speak? I couldn't help but shake my head at the stupid idea, they've met me before and they looked at my profile on my foster agency's website... but what if it was all an act?

I kiss my pendent quickly, asking my parents for good fortune with Mrs. and Mr. Johnson. I knew that they were up there in heaven, being my guardian angels. I believed that being optimistic was the key to good luck so I take a inhale of breath before knocking on the brass eagle hand, trying to think of overly-positive thoughts.