26- Real life nightmares

A/N: Just a warning, I cried a solid three times writing this chapter. You might cry, might not. But if you do cry I'm so sorry, I just love having a good cry sometimes. 

The end of shift rolls around and I can feel myself growing more and more tired. It's been another long day and I can just hear my bed calling me. I take my jacket off of the chair at my desk, opening the drawer that I have kept the letter from my mother in. I take it out, placing it in my pocket. Maybe reading it one more time will let me make my mind up about this whole thing. My phone begins to buzz in my pocket, indicating that someone is calling me. The name on the screen makes me smile.

"Hey, I'm-"

"Lia, I need your help. I'm at the flat, there's some man he was following me. I don't know where he's gone now, but I've locked the doors. He kept saying your name. He's got a gun Lia" Daniel says, his voice panicked.

"Daniel, calm down. What does this guy look like?" I ask him, the tone of my voice alerting the others. Jay gives me a look, as if to ask what's happening. I return the look, mine telling him I'm just as clueless as he is. But he knows something is seriously wrong. I write down on a piece of paper where we need to go and everyone begins to head downstairs. I stay on the phone with Daniel wanting to keep him talking.

"He was at a crash earlier today, he asked my name so I told him. Then he came to the firehouse asking for me. He said you knew each other and that he'd heard a lot about me. Then when I finished my shift there was this car following me. I got back here and he got a gun out." his voice cracking, I can hear the fear in his voice and it creates the worst feeling in my stomach.

"We're on our way, you're gonna be okay. I promise" There's a sound on the other end of the phone, like someone has just broken into the apartment. "Daniel, hide somewhere. Don't come out until you hear my voice telling you to."

"I love you Lia. You're the best thing to ever happen to me" is all he says, before the call ends.

I'm in the car by now, Ruzek is driving. We're definitely not sticking to the speed limit, but all of the sense I have in me leaves my body. I just want to get there and see my boyfriend. I want him to be okay. I want this to be a terrible nightmare. I want to wake up in the bed next to him, and have him reassure me it's okay. I want to snap out of this right now.

"He'll be okay. We're gonna get to him, and he's gonna be alright." Ruzek tries to reassure me, but we both know that when we get there it's not going to be a pretty sight.

We're the first to arrive at the apartment complex, there are people running out of the building. I know they've hear gunshots and I know it's come from the apartment. This is only adding to the worry that has overtaken me.

Adam and I run up the stairs, we arrive at the apartment to see the door left open. I hold my gun in my shaking hands and enter the apartment. The sight I see breaks my heart. I run over to my boyfriend's body on the floor. He's laid there a bullet wound to the chest. He's still alive, but barely. He either doesn't have a lot of time left or he's going to very narrowly miss death. I cradle him in my arms, applying pressure to his chest. Tears pouring down my face. He looks so scared. I've never seen him like this before. He's always been the brave strong fireman who's protected me. But now he's helpless, and it's my job to protect him.

"I love you so much Daniel. We're gonna buy a proper house together. We're gonna grow old together. We're gonna have children of our own. You're gonna be an amazing Dad to them. You'll be their hero. Just like you are mine. And maybe I'll even let you eat the strawberries." he lets out a quiet laugh at the last bit. But then begins to wince in pain. 

"Promise me you'll look after her for me. Don't let anyone hurt her ever again." he says, I feel a hand being placed on my shoulder. Then a body leaning down next to me.