Chapter 19 {Lance's Anxiety}

Quick Recap of ch. 18
~~~~
Oh what a night this will be. He thought while putting his head in his hands.
~~~~

Shifting back over to the nervous wreck that equals Lance McClain, if I could describe the mess that was him at that very moment, I deserve some sort of award.

He didn't know fully why he was so panicked. Sweaty palms, closed throat, dry eyes, and the urge to gasp for air. He felt a dizzy feeling and at first he thought he was sick but then he thought for a while and figured out it was the butterfly corpses begging to be buried properly in his stomach.

He was trying to act calm, cool, and collected but even his friends could tell he wasn't being his badass self at the moment. He chugged his whole bottle of water and chucked (Yeeted?)  it into the trash can.

"Woah, you ok dude?" Josh asked his best friend. He put a hand of reassurance on Lance's shoulder and his gaze shot over to his blonde haired friend. Josh couldn't tell if it was a death stare or the general eyes of despair.

"I don't think I can do it bro.." Lance responded. There was a sound of plea in his voice, shaken and rough. Josh looked back to Shiro and Hunk for help but they just shrugged. He glanced in the other direction at Roxy who snorted.

"Sorry dude, you're on your own for this one." She said walking over to join Shiro and Hunk. Josh flipped her off and turned back to his nervous wreck of a friend.

"What do you mean you can't do it?" He asked removing his hand from Lance's shoulder. Lance snapped back from Narnia or wherever his mind was and actually answered the question. For once in his goddamn life.

"I mean, I don't think I can say I love you to Keith.." he scratched his neck and looked away in embarrassment. "And you think that because?" Josh looked at him with a blank stare. Lance started throwing out every excuse in the book.

We haven't been dating for that long?
"You've been together for 3 months"
I'm not fully prepared?
"You've been practicing for a week"
I don't think he's ready yet?
"Dude, you can't know until you tell him"

"Gah! I hate it when you're right!" Lance pouted in frustration. Josh weakly smiled at his currently deranged friend. He stepped aside and let Hunk do the calming, as he was the best at it.

"Lance, you've never let anything scare you before. Shay has told me stories of how you were fearless and didn't let anything bother you. We can all tell Keith has changed you perception of that. You can do this. We all know you can." He said holding his shoulder. Lance's breathing steadied at Hunk's calming words. He was shocked they hadn't been friends a long time ago when they were kids. Hunk was just the kind of friend you feel like you've known your whole life.

"Thanks Hunk that actually really helped, I'm glad Keith has had you as a friend for a long time. I'm glad you're my friend now too. Ok, I can do this..." He said in confidence. Whether or not that confidence was fake he couldn't tell at the moment.

He wasn't lying when he said he was happy that Keith had Hunk as a friend with all he's been through. His calming personality and voice was very reassuring. And his way with words could settle you in an instant. It felt almost like he could make any situation better just by talking. (I have to give some love to my boy, he is best boi no one can argue with that)

After calming Lance down their ride rolled up in front of Shiro's house. The five of them got into the limo to pick up their dates. Lance kept thinking to himself that he was prepared and he could do it. Maybe if he lied to himself reverse psychology would commence and he'd be able to do it.

In a few minutes they pulled up to Shay's house and walked up to the driveway. Roxy texted Pidge again telling her they had arrived. Did she feel slightly bad that the boys had to embarrass themselves by wearing dresses in front of the whole school? Sure. But that was their fault for agreeing to it.