Twenty Seven

Warning: Long Ass Chapter🥱🥱

After explaining what happened between Ryker and I to Abbie three times over, she finally calmed down enough to make it clear to me that she did not judge me should I go ahead and get closer to Ryker, to which I simply let her know that I was thankful for her support, but it was not necessary; it still couldn't happen.

The group finally emerged from their tents and people began dispersing from the pitch, heading off into the woods to explore and no doubt spend some time playing by the river. Others headed off onto the main footpath to find a store for some more supplies and the rest lay around in the sun drinking while Mason and some other guys tried to set up a disposable barbecue to start cooking burgers.

Abbie and I hung out on one of the logs by the fire, watching the boys repeatedly fail as we giggled at them and I tried my best not to look Mason in the eye every time he looked over to see if I was watching him.

'Do you think Mason has given up on you?' Abbie asked me, as we drank our sodas and snacked on Doritos.

'I'm pretty sure he hasn't,' I replied. 'I need to talk to him anyway; I need to apologise.'

'For being short with him after he stood up to Luca for you?' Abbie asked, as she wrinkled her nose awkwardly.

'Oh, yes,' I sighed. 'I was drunk and annoyed but it's no excuse. He was only trying to look out for me.'

'Luca really is the worst,' Abbie mumbled, as we both looked over to his tent where he was sitting on the ground outside of it, texting on his phone.

'He's the most vile human being I've ever encountered,' I said, scowling over at him.

'That Nathan guy is no better either,' Abbie said. 'After what he did to you at Cassie's party.'

'I think most boys around here are arseholes,' I sighed. 'Apart from Mason...why can't I just be in love with him again?'

'Because you're in love with Ryker,' Abbie laughed, and we both froze and turned to look at each other immediately. 'I didn't mean to say that.'

'Damn right you didn't,' I said, raising my brows at her. 'I'm way off falling in love.'

'I know,' Abbie said. 'It just slipped out.'

'It's cool,' I replied, turning to continue watching the boys at the barbecue.

'However,' Abbie said, slowly. 'How did you feel just there when I said that?'

'What do you mean?' I asked.

'You know what I mean,' she giggled. 'When I said you're in love with Ryker, how did you feel about hearing that?'

'What? I don't know,' I said, frowning at her. 'Nothing, I guess. Or...I don't know, just weird, I suppose.'

'Good weird?' she asked, nudging me.

'Abbie, it's been like a minute,' I told her. 'I'm not in love; we've only kissed like four times.'

'Four magical times,' she teased.

'I'm about to throw this soda over you,' I told her, trying to hold back my smirk.

'Sorry,' she laughed. 'I'm just testing the waters.'

'Don't start trying to make me think I feel something that I don't again,' I said.

'Okay,' she said, shrugging softly. 'But one final thing to remind you of...'

'What's that?' I asked.