Chapter 32🌲The Train's Soft Spot

↣The Train's Soft Spot↢

"You two! Protect the people in the carts! This train is no longer safe!" You perked your head to look over at Tanjirou, who had somehow made his way to the furthest three carts ahead, "This whole train has turned into the demon! Can you hear me?! The train is a demon!"

You grabbed Inosuke's forearm before he could run to Tanjirou, not even sure he had heard the maroonette over the rushing wind, and pulled him back to the hole he had made. Almost jumping in, it was his turn to pull you back, yelling commandingly into the wind, "Stay here!"

With that, he dropped down on his head,  practically dislocating his shoulders as he swung his swords wildly, "Breath of the Beast, fifth fang: Mad Cleave!"

If you did jump down there before he could stop you, you would've been chopped meat. You shivered at the thought, sliding down from the blown metal and into the train. The fleshy demon parts that engulfed the sleeping bystanders seemed to come apart by the time he was finished, leaving him laughing wickedly, "I'm gonna save each one of them! You oughta prostrate yourselves before me, worship and adore me!"

You chuckled, joining in on the swinging of swords against the uncoordinated limbs and flesh, "Oh wow! You complain of my riddles yet you speak in rhymes! 'Before me', 'adore me' now that's new!"

"I'll always be better than you!" Inosuke howled, rushing past you to go further into the cart, "Watch out, Inosuke-sama's coming through!"

You quickly ducked your head when he came past you, swords raised and knocking past every part of the train demon. Each limb faded into dust and ashes before disappearing, leaving the innocent people to rest. Inosuke jumped back up to the top of the train, helping you up as well, before starting to run to the head of the locomotive. You pushed on next to him as well, no matter how much more endurance the boy seemed to hold. 

"Inosuke?! [Y/N]?! Where are you?!" You had almost stopped running to look for Tanjirou if it wasn't for the incessant Inosuke, who started to pull you by the arm as he continued his sprint.

"SHUT UP I'LL KILL YOU!" Inosuke screamed angrily at the traincar beneath you, huffing in frustration and oncoming loss of breath, "That goddamn googly eye guy just had to cut in! But somehow..."  He took his time to gain his breath back before continuing, "He's so damn awesome it pisses me off!"

"That's because Aniki is a pillar!" You informed the boy, also out of breath from such a run he was forcing you to go on, "He's supposed to be perfect!"

"You two need to watch out for the next three cars!" Tanjirou yelled over you from beneath your feet, letting you and Inosuke have the chance to once again pull out your weapons to ready for the challenge ahead.

Inosuke shook his head like a wet dog, going back to running along with you trailing loosely behind him. If the train's surface was to be covered in perspiration you would've fallen by now, the only luck you had was with Inosuke being there to grab you along, "I know, and I'll find that damn thing soon! With my full focus seventh style!"

Nodding, you focused back to running carefully, adding yourself into the conversation with, "This guy's gotta have some sort of weakspot! We'll find it and defeat this monster together, Inosuke, Tanjirou!"

"You need to go to the front! The front smells the strongest of a demon, with the coal!" Tanjirou once again called up to the two of you. Nodding like the boy was there, you and Inosuke dropped down into the head of the train, not registering the amount of entangled demonic limbs that grabbed towards you. The conductor hurried to dodge as Inosuke went to attack him, yet was pulled back by the many arms and hands. A memory of Inosuke being strangled by the spider demon of Mount Natagumo flashed by your eyes. With the utmost panic, you skittered to Inosuke's side and raised your sword without much thought.