Chapter 1🌲Village of the Hunters

↣Village of Hunters↢

"Another meal caught by our beloved [Y/N]; as usual."

You squirmed in your place as everyone's eyes landed on you. The older man and his family at the head of the line smiled kindly and thanked you, the younger children already digging their faces into the bowl of pork belly udon. You on the other hand turned bright red and your rough hands became much more interesting than anywhere else. The next, and last, family replaced the old one in line, humbly taking the scoops of soup in their bowls from your tired figure at the head of the porch.

You felt a tug on your hakama and black and red cloud haori. Instinctively you jumped away from the tension put upon your clothing, the years of hunting putting the thought of vicious boars that rammed your knees and curious foxes that nipped your ankles into your head. A familiar sound of two children yipping in fright filled the air.

"Gomen'nassai!" Your twin siblings, little Hakaru and Daichi, cried sorrowfully to you. You awed at the two, dropping to your knees at their heights. They were staying with the Wisteria family (The family who were in line) for the night to have a sleepover with friends.

"No need, Kodomodachi. I'm sorry for scaring you." Patting their heads with your calloused hands you continued, "How about you have some extra dinner tonight, for it's a feast! Do you know why?"

The children's eyes lit up and they whispered ideas to each other, "Birthday?" "New holiday?" "Is she going to join the village huntsmen for their annual hunt?" "Does she finally have a lover?"

You turned bright red and grinned nervously, "No you little goofballs! I was allowed to go to the Final Selection by Papa!"

Their little [E/C] eyes shown with excitement and they lopped their arms around your neck and cheered. Thank the gods they didn't have food in their bowls yet because your hard work would be spilled down your back. You smiled and hugged them closer to you, picking them up off the ground as you had gotten up. They let out excited chirps as you looped your arms under their legs to hold them up.

"You'd make a good mother, Ryōshi~Chan." Their friend's mother, Wisteria Konno, smiled kindly at you, "A lead huntswoman of the Ryōshi village, a demon slayer; truly a prodigy. You'd surely pass it onto your children."

"I told you Konno-san, just call me [Y/N]. Everyone just calls my Grandfather by our last name." A faint smile made your face look quaint yet thoughts ran through your head. I'm not the greatest hunter. I could barely protect the children when that pack of wolves attacked my hunt training lesson. I'm probably going to fail final selection and disappoint the village, deprive them of a second Ryōshi raised and named demon slayer.

"Onee-san!" The voice of Daishi shook you awake, "When I grow up I want to be just like you and become a demon slayer!"

"And I want to become a huntswoman like you and prove that boys aren't the only ones who can take down a boar!" Hakaru cheered.

Your [E/C] eyes glistened with big tears and you hugged the two close, digging her face into the napes of their necks and crying softly.

"No need to persuade me for more food, ya little devils." You mockingly hissed, putting the children down to run around with their friends. Konno and her husband smiled sadly at you, though took their food without a comment. They bowed their head at you though you merely scowled at the tops of heads. There was no need for formalities; all you were was the former Village Head's daughter and current Head's granddaughter. You felt as if you were no lower than them, why would everyone always do this? Your mind had a different idea, immediately pointing out each sign of pity and guilt.