Chapter 19 - Case ii

Start from the beginning

"What do you mean by that?" You asked quietly, as if in fear she would get angry.

"They possess innocents, they taint them."

"But you could possess someone..." you trailed off in confusion, not understanding where her anger had came from.

She shrugged. "I could, doesn't mean I will. My point is that I'm not sure you know what you're getting into. He's not a spirit in the same way as us. We're dead, but he torments us here. Not only does he mess with the living.

 Have you noticed the behaviours of the patients? His presence changes them, he influences their thoughts and feelings, making them rabid. You remember A-Yeong? No one touched her butterflies. No one stole anything from her. But he made her think someone was taking her possessions away from her." 

Your eyes widened in surprise. 

You opened your mouth to ask more, the need for more answers knocking against your skull. 

"There's not much time, I must show you the threat. The one who keeps filling this place with ghosts."

The blackness around your suddenly began to shift and change around you. It moulded into a ceiling and walls, a the empty frame of a bunkbed and a set of drawers and a door. It became a room.

Your room. Yet a twisted version of your room. Everything looked to be an older, crumbling version of what you knew it to be. The new cracks and creases in the wall paint eerily looked more like pulsing veins with dark blood and the floor was covered in debris.

The nurse phased through the door and out of sight. In usual circumstances you'd rather be alone than be in the same room as a ghost but here, you felt more at ease with her than staying in this horrid room. Not really having much of a choice either, you followed the nurse silently, out of the of your room and through the winding hallways of the hospital.

The nurse took you through the black corridors, her form illuminating the area around her, only disappearing completely when the lights would flicker on and off again, as if she were allergic to the light. 

You were wary to ask her anything else as you followed, frightened that you voice may awaken something within the dark halls and rooms of the hospital, the only sound were your footsteps and the occasional buzz of the light bulbs. Being in the dark here made you feel very vulnerable. 

A childish fear resurfaced, of long spindly arms shooting out from the darkness and grabbing you. You shivered.

The nurse led you deeper into the hospital, to parts you hadn't step foot in, and went with her down flights of large stone stairs and onto an entire new level completely and through a large door with a multitude of locks on it. This level that must have been below the building.  

This must have been the door that would need the key she had been on about earlier...However it was open. For now.

The air almost felt icy down at this level and what had you amazed was the puff of white breath that came from your mouth as you exhaled. Just how cold was it down here?

The air was thin and difficult to breathe. It made you wonder for a second that you weren't in a dream, instead the nurse had taken you through a limbo, and that you were currently walking through a veil of the dead. 

No, this was a dream. You were certain of that. 

You came to a wide hallway with an array of doors, heavy metal and larger than the ones on the floor where you worked. They looked like doors that kept something nastier and bigger than a human.