Chapter 29 - Blue or Red? (i)

Cases had been popping up on the P.I.A's doorstep daily and sometimes even multiple. It kept you extremely busy.

You found it a little concerning however. Why had there been so many cases so suddenly? And out of seemingly nowhere? 

At first Mr. Bang had been mildly annoyed with you for taking the case revolving around the haunted park, but realised that you were healthy enough to take on normal cases like that again. He just made sure to keep any possession cases out of your hands for the time being. 

You preferred this, working again, keeping yourself busy and unable to think of needless things. Some would say it wasn't mentally healthy to bury yourself with work, but you found solace in it. Or perhaps it just kept your mind off the bad things. 

Both Jackson and Yugyeom had been swamped with their own cases that you hadn't seen them around for a few days. 

You arched your back and stretched your arms upwards, working out the stiffness and clinks in your shoulders. You paused suddenly, your ears picking up a faint sound. A muted plonk and a skittering from above you. You looked up, listening in slight puzzlement. 

Had that come from the attic? Did the building have an infestation of mice or rats? 

Sighing you looked back down, your eyes landing on the pile of letters and files on the desk. You plucked a letter from the top of the pile, ripping it open to scan through its contents. 

The letter was from a female elementary school teacher by the name of Miss Lee, writing to the P.I.A in concern that a recent death of one of the children at the school hadn't been of a normal occurrence. Not that children dying was a normal occurrence to begin with, but in the nature of the death, the teacher was sure that it had been paranormal

The teacher had also mentioned in the letter that the school's decision about the child's death was to keep it very hush hush, in hopes not to lose their reputation and that they had hired private detectives on the matter. However Miss Lee had decided to contact the P.I.A in fear that this had been no human's doing. Due to this, you would most likely have to go in undercover. Basically not show up as a paranormal inspector and preach about how a dead person is threatening the students. Yeah, that always worked well...

The way Miss Lee had described the way the child had been found made a light pop up in your head, more specifically, where the teacher had mentioned the kid's body had been found had you remembering something.

Swinging out of your seat you moved over to the shelf of books and scanned the titles on each of the spines. 'Weapons & Mystical Artifacts', 'Pagans, Wiccans & Witches', 'Exploring the Paranormal', 'Japanese Yokai'- Ah ha! That was the one.

Sliding the book from your-self you opened it and thumbed through the pages and found the section you were looking for. 

'Aka Manto (あかまんと)...

...is a Japanese urban legend about a masked spirit who wears a red cloak, who appears to people using toilets in public or school bathrooms- usually in elementary schools and asks them a single question. As the number four is commonly associated with death, it is the forth stall that is usually the cursed one.