Chapter 1

~Before~

Another Saturday.

Another party at a big house.

Macy pushed her way through the crowds of people, pasting on a smile for everyone, waving and winking at everyone as she passed them. She finally got to the bar where her boyfriend, Cody, was hanging out. He was slumped against the bar, eyeing the clear liquid in his glass. He sloshed his cup around and when he noticed Macy, he got a goofy grin on his face. “Heeyyyyy,” he slurred. Macy just looked at him. He'd promised that this time he wouldn't get so drunk that she had to drag him to the car and drive him home before he did something stupid.

But she hadn't really believed it, even as his brown eyes assured her. Same old, same old. “Cody, you're wasted,” she accused. He shrugged. “so what?” his voice had an edge to it now. “You know,” he went on, “this whole mothering act is getting pretty old, Macy. I could have any girl I want. You know that? And you know what else?” he leaned into her as if to tell her a secret. “sometimes when you aren't around, I DO have the girls I want.” he giggled and Macy could feel her cheeks getting red. People could hear him. It wasn't like she didn't know about his fooling around, but other people certainly didn't need to hear about it like this.

She sighed. “Cody, I just don't wa-” he stood up to his full height and stared her down. She trailed off and glanced at the bar. “I'm gonna go dance. You stay here,” she said quietly. She looked over at James, the guy who always brought the drinks and handed them out. “No more for him, okay?” but James just giggled, pretty wasted himself. “I heard him, you know,” James said to her. “The whole school knows, practically.” Macy just turned and walked away, towards the main room. There was loud music, and she could feel the bass in her bones.

She was so tired. But she went to the kitchen where there were a bunch of guys doing shots. She grabbed a glass from one of them and downed it. He almost complained but when he saw her, his frown turned into a flirtatious smirk. “Hey, Macy. You look good,” he complimented, looking me up and down. She winked and smiled, turning on her heel. There was a pool outside, and she stumbled over to it, feeling a little tipsy herself. How many drinks had she had? “Macy! Hey, girl!” Sophia Pratt swaggered over. Her little dress could pass for a shirt, but then, so could Macy's. Sophie was Macy's best friend, partner in crime. Macy knew that really, Sophie was hooking up with Cody every chance she got, but neither of them talked about it. “I'm gonna get going,” Macy mumbled, and Sophie's smile dimmed.

“Why? Come on, honey, we're just getting started!” with that she threw her head back and let out a big long “WOOOOOOOO!” apparently Sophie had been drinking a bit herself. Hell, thought Macy looking around, who HADN'T been drinking? Everyone was smashed and it was only eleven. These parties went on and on, seemingly never ending. Macy wished that she had just said she was sick and stayed at home, watching movies in her room. Sophie was watching her closely, and Macy smiled again. “of course! Come on, let's go to the keg. I think Cody was going over there anyways.” Macy inwardly rolled her eyes. Cody was always either at the bar or at the keg. She watched as her classmates got so smashed they couldn't even think and then she took her turn. As her mind dimmed and her senses dulled, she smiled a real smile for the first time.

This is what she needed. This is what she always needed.