Chapter 31: The Mouse's Return

The next several days were filled with hellish training. I never went a day without puking or thinking I was going to die. Usually both happened. In that order as well.

Every night I went to sleep exhausted and in pain only to wake up knowing the pain would be multiplied by the end of the day.

Jerry never came back like he said he would. We actually haven't heard anything from him since that day he came here.

Currently, I am being dragged around behind Gavin. The last drill of the day is always the worst. I'm exhausted and covered in fresh bruises and scrapes.

"The longer you wait to escape, the longer the trip back to the house will be."

"Just you wait." I muttered.

I waited a few minutes more until, with a whooshing sound effect playing in my head, I planted one foot and fan kicked my leg to break his grip on my wrist. The move was successful and before he could regain his grip I laid a sharp punch to his kidney. I would've done a cheap shot, but we made a deal to only perform those on actual hostiles after an unfortunate training exercise a couple days ago. Yeah. whoops.

I sprinted in the direction of the lake cabin, which we've been using as the safety point. I've learned from past mistakes not to run in a straight line and also to keep my eyes forward, which is hard when inside you have a burning desire to see how far behind your pursuer is.

I dodged through the woods with a new set of instincts and a sixth sense of analyzing my surroundings, making it back to the cabin in record time with Gavin only a short distance behind me.

Though we practiced mainly in the forest, we also did some drills in the house. And I now have very bad memories linked with the laundry room.

One day we drove to an abandoned office building. That was a fun change of scenery, but the majority of the time we spent there I felt like I was in a horror show. It. was. terrible. I was fidgeting the whole way home and I jumped out of my skin when Lucas walked in to ask how things went. I guess that's a good sign. The drill was about staying alert. Gavin would make a great suspense show director.

I walked into the safe house, breathing heavily as my legs twitched  beneath me. As if I were drunk, I stumbled and swayed my way to the bed in the corner and let myself fall and bounce against the mattress.

"Your stamina still needs work. I saw you falter a lot on the way here."
Of course you did..

"It rained last night. It's wet and muddy." I mumbled into the comforter.

"I can only imagine how slow you'd be if it were raining." I sat up and crossed my legs, mentally sticking my tongue out at him.

He tossed me a water bottle and I drank it down within a minute. It's become routine to hang out here after a training session. First a water break, then dinner. The first day we didn't have a full meal. They hadn't restocked the food so we had to settle for ramen again. Of course, I wasn't too disappointed because.. Ramen.

I can't help but wonder what Lucas does on these days when he's alone all day.

As Gavin was opening up the stocked cupboards to decide what to eat, his phone rang. "Yeah?" He answered after reading the caller ID. He cursed under his breath. "Okay. We're on our way... we're just at the cabin. We can be back in ten..." he hung up the phone and turned toward me. "We gotta go."

"What? Why, what's happening?"

"Smith is on his way. He'll be there soon so we gotta run."

"Aw-haw Nooo!" I whined as I slipped off the bed. "Can't we just speed walk back?"