Chapter 24: Training Session

A/N

Extra long Chapter!!

ㄴㄱㄴㄱㄴㄱㄴㄱㄴㄱㄴㄱㄴㄱㄴㄱㄴㄱㄴㄱ

"Where are we going?" I whined. It felt as though we'd been walking for hours and my ankles were not very happy with the uneven forest floor.. not to mention I've slipped and tripped multiple times trying to keep up with Gavin. I swear this dude's stride is like a mile wider than mine.

Gavin supplied me with some fresh clothes, he said they were his sister's. All they had was the last outfit she wore, the one she wore the day she was killed.. thinking about it made me shiver but it was either this or nothing. Gavin isn't one to share his clothes and he wouldn't let me borrow any of Lucas's.

However, he made one exception seeing as there was a big hole in his sister's shirt... I don't need to mention why..

So he very generously- that's sarcasm- loaned me one of his black undershirts. It was oversized to say the least, but I don't mind that. And for the pants, I wore black skinny jeans. They were stretchy enough so I could move, thank goodness, and they had holes scattered around them. Not the kind that are there when you buy them though, these were made by accident.

And now he's brought me deep into the woods. He won't tell me why. He's barely spoken actually. Besides the occasional death glares when I start to annoy him, he hasn't really interacted at all.

He finally slowed down when we came to an opening in the woods. There was a lake in front of us and some large rocks scattered around. It was pretty early so the sunrise still glowed a golden yellow on the gently rippling water.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath as my ears started to pick up different bird sounds. After a moment I remembered the context of this scene and turned to face Gavin.

His stare was like a steady beam connecting us and the expression he wore was dark and unreadable. I scanned his body language and stopped when I noticed a black handle sticking out of his jeans. His outfit was also black so it blended pretty well, but the shiny material gave it away. "Did.. did you bring me here to kill me?"

He scoffed. "Obviously."

"I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.."
I looked at him with nerves flooding my system.

Nothing. He said nothing. He started walking toward me with purpose in his steps. At this point my heart felt like it was in my throat and my fight or flight mechanism sprang into action.

In one swift motion Gavin pulled out the gun, cocked it and aimed it right at my forehead. The barrel mere centimeters from touching my skin.

"Oh my God!" I yelled before flinching away from him and, inevitably, losing my balance and falling into the lake.

I realized what happened only when I felt the water start to invade my unprepared lungs. I popped above the water, coughing uncontrollably. I snapped my head up to see Gavin suppressing a laugh, seeming genuinely amused for the first time ever.

"Is this how you get your laughs? Scaring people to death?"

"It's one way." He said. A relaxed smile still resting on his lips. He also seems to have a dimple on his left cheek. How is he single? Oh that's right. He's a jerk who's part of a gang!

I tried to climb the short, steep hill that lead back to dry land, but slipped on the loose lake mud. "Will you please help me up?" I asked impatiently.

"No." His smile faded and his face was back to stone. "You need to do this yourself."

I looked at him in disbelief. "Okay. Fine. Fine. I will do it myself. Not like I wanted you to help me anyway." I grumble as I struggled to crawl, wiggle, and pull myself back into the grass. It was a short distance but more slippery than a cartoon banana peel.