Kabanata 39

Kabanata 39

Samuela stood up after saying that. Alam niya sa sarili niyang medyo tinatamaan na siya kaya hindi na niya mapigilan ang sinasabi niya.

"I'm gonna go check, Nat." pagpapaalam niya pero pinigilan siya ni Athos.

Hinawakan nito ang kanyang pala-pulsuhan at hinila pabalik sa kanyang kinauupuan.

"She's sleeping. No need to check." he sjot back.

Natigilan si Samuela sa ginawang iyon. Nakaupo na siya ngayon ng maayos, mahigpit ang hawak sa kanyang alak.

Athos shifted on his seat. Ibinaba ang can ng beer sa sahig para harapin siya lalo.

"You're not married to that guy?" he asked again.

"I was. But we annulled before coming back here. We never liked each other romantically." she answered.

"I thought you knew because you called me, Ms. Montecillo." she shrugged, again.

Athos bit his lower lip. Niyupi niya ang lata ng beer at kumuha ulit ng isa pa.

"I don't know. I just don't want to address you as a married person. That's allowed in the constitution, I know you know that. You are a lawyer."

Tumango si Samuela. Yes, she can not use Polo's surname even if they are married if she likes. And she never did. Saka lang pag kailangan  nila para sa kuryusidad ni Uno.

Naubos na ni Samuela ang alak niya. Hindi niya kayang yupiin iyon kaya binaba na lang niya sa sahig.

A soft wind brushed them. Athos offered her another one. Hindi niya iyon tinanggihan, for somewhat reason... she felt at peace again.

"That's why you're still married in papers. I have you checked when you're in New Zealand." he said.

Samuela stopped drinking her beer. Sa New Zealand pa lang? Does this mean...

"You know that I am alive?" she asked, not getting the informations.

Athos nodded like it wasn't a big deal. Samuela's getting more confuse. She was declared dead by the investigations done by Querios. Kristoff confirmed it.

"Alam namin nina Kristoff at Greg na hindi ikaw ang katawang nasunog sa likod ng dating bahay mo. Some of the details didn't match yours." he explained.

Nalaglag ang panga ni Samuela. So, he knew all along?

"Sabi ni Uno, it was a perfect crime. Tss." she murmured.

Kahit pala noon, naisahan siya ng mga Querio. That old man, full of himself.

And why did they let the people know that I was dead? For what reason?

"We planned to announce your death para tumigil na rin ang batas na maghanap sa'yo. In that way, the attention will divert to other problems."

"Why did you do that?" she frantically, asked.

"To protect you." he answered straight.