lies and blackmail

Start from the beginning

"Look. I am so sorry, Matty. I was so out of line. I don't know your situation."

"Don't be."

Matty took a deep breath. Bill could see the tears forming in her eyes.

"I need some fresh air."

She walked to the door, stopping as she put her hand on the doorknob.

"We will talk again in the morning, if you are still here."

She turned.

"If not then, it has been a pleasure meeting you, Mr. Williams and I wish you all the best."

Matty walked out the door.

"Bill. You fucking idiot."

Bill hurried to the front door and outside. He quickly scanned the area around the house, but he could not see Matty anywhere.

The slamming of a door made him turn toward the smaller cottage. For a moment he thought about going to the cottage and apologizing, but in all honesty he did not know what he would say, as he still felt slightly betrayed and lied to.

"Asshole," he swore at himself, as he leaned on the hood of his truck. He slammed his fist on the hood.

"Fucking asshole."

He stayed that way for a few moments, wishing that Matty might reappear and he could ...

he didn't know what he could do. He was not used to situations like this. He had spent most of his life trying to avoid confrontation and the first time he stood up for himself, he hurt someone.

He thought about getting in his truck and leaving Tuckamore Bay, but something inside made him rethink that decision. He felt he needed to see Matty one more time before he left. If for no other reason, then to say goodbye and tell her he was sorry.

Bill remembered the beer and cigarettes in the truck and the wet clothes in his duffel bag. He remembered seeing a dryer in the corner of the kitchen, so he could at least dry the clothes.

He grabbed the two cases of beer and packs of smokes and went back into the house, straight to the kitchen.

He put the cases on the countertop, alongside a can of beans, a box of corn flakes, a tin of spam, a pack of Kraft dinner, 4 bananas, a loaf of bread, an apple and orange and a four pack of toilet tissue.

A note was attached to the toilet paper.

Mr. Williams,

As requested, a few things to get you started in your new home. If youse needs any more things, come and see I at the general store.

Harry Tucker

Bill shook his head and opened the small refrigerator. There was a small jug of milk, and a dozen eggs. And 4 bottles of Black Horse beer.

The refrigerator freezer held what looked like a frozen fish, a pack of pork chops and a bag of salted beef.

"Whatever that is?" Bill exclaimed, picking up the salt beef. He tossed it back in and closed the refrigerator door.

He then opened the cupboards over the sink to find a bag of sugar, a bag of flour, a pack of Purity biscuits, a bottle of molasses and a flask of 5 Star Rum.

He chuckled to himself.

"Well, if I stay I will have to go for groceries, that is for sure."

In his mind he thought it was a very big 'if'.

Bill took the wet clothes from the duffel bag and put it in the dryer. He then went to the refrigerator and took out another beer.

After opening the beer he lit a cigarette and walked back into the living room. He had made a decision to stay in the house fr a while and see if Matty returned.

He still felt like he had to apologize.

"Ise don't likes peoples smokin' in me 'ouse."

Bill screamed and once again, almost shit his pants.