Chapter 60

Astrila holds her breath as he comes barreling into the room, trying to be as quiet as possible. He glances around in confusion, muttering to himself. He turns back towards the tunnel and catches sight of the alcove. Astrila knew he would see it eventually, but it still sends a burst of fear through her when he does. As he starts toward her, she darts out of the alcove, going to the wall farthest from him. Despite her attempt at avoiding him, he still grabs her arm. Astrila hisses and claws at his arm, trying desperately to get away. But he's still wearing his parka, despite the heat of the caves.

They probably hadn't wanted to waste any time they could have spent following her just to remove their outerwear. Her hands can do nothing to stop him but her legs can. She kicks out his knees, faster than he can react. When her foot makes contact with his kneecap, he instinctively releases her. Astrila darts away to the wall, her hand sliding back into her belt pouch to grasp the orb once more. It might not do anything, but she finds that it gives her comfort. As he walks towards her, he almost seems to be struggling against something. If she didn't know better, she would think it to be wind. But nothing happens to his hair or clothes to indicate such, and they're underground besides. So it can't be wind, just some force pushing him back. He snarls at her in rage.

"I'm coming for you!"

Her hand tightens around the orb as he reaches to his side and pulls out a long, shining blade. Astrila tries to move away, but she finds her feet frozen to the floor. She can't make herself move. He finally reaches her and before she can blink, his weapon comes arcing toward her. Her face or throat, or even her heart, she can't tell where he is aiming for. But at long last, her feet release from the floor and she spins to the side in a desperate attempt to dodge. His blade still hits her in the side, burying itself deep into her stomach. It's just to the side of her belly button, one of the few points where it avoids major organs.

But the blood loss can still kill her. She holds her hand to the wound, trying to avoid dislodging the blade as she stumbles away from the man. Though wide, his eyes are set with determination as he lurches toward her. The floor bucks beneath them, and Astrila thinks it's shock for a moment. The floor opens beneath him, a deep gaping hole. The world blurs and Astrila blinks, trying to clear it away. She stumbles and the floor rises up to catch her. She blinks again as something ripples away, shooting through the tunnels. She closes her eyes against the brightness despite her mind screaming at her.

"Don't! Astrila, don't close your eyes!"

~~~

Kōri jerks as the world trembles around him. It fills him with fear, something is wrong. But what? Then he pales, the word falling from his mouth with a gasp.

"Astrila!"

Kayi glances up from his conversation with the man in blue, his eyes wide. "What?"

Kōri's words blur together in his frantic desperation to get them all out. "I think something's wrong with Astrila."

Panic fills Kayi's eyes but his voice remains calm, though there is a wavering note within it. "Go. Take Tonraq with you."

Kōri nods and spins towards Seal Rock, breaking into a run. He doesn't stumble over the snow, and he is overcome with relief for the snowshoes on his feet. Without them, could he ever get there in time to stop what is happening? Tonraq keeps pace with him easily, nimble over the snow. There is a burst of wind from behind them and it becomes even easier for them to sprint across the snowy tundra towards Seal Rock. Kōri pales further. The last time this had happened was after Astrila was attacked by the Ludeag. Something is seriously wrong for it to be happening again. The wind pushes, murmuring into his ear.

Hurry, hurry. You don't have much time.

His face sets with determination and he pushes himself onward, his blood burning with fire. The tundra races past them, barely more than a blur. He's running faster than he ever has before. But Kōri doesn't notice, he's too focused on the distant shadow of Seal Rock. When they reach the caves, a tunnel yawns open before them, leading them straight down into the depths of the earth. Kōri spears for it, Tonraq a step behind him.

When they emerge into the chamber at the bottom of the tunnel, thy find Astrila lying on a slab of rock. Her face is pale, as pale as it had been when she was succumbing to hypothermia. Her braid is hanging off the slab, reaching out towards the floor. Something still feels wrong. He glances around the room. There is a smudge of blood beside the wall, a divet in the floor between it and Astrila. Nothing seems amiss, but when he looks back to Astrila, her pelt is nowhere in sight. That only happens when a selkie dies, their pelt ascending to the endless ocean of the sky with their spirit.

He sags in relief when her chest rises with a slow, shallow breath. She's not dead, but where is her pelt? Tonraq is crouching beside her, his hands flitting across her body, trying to find out if anything is wrong with her besides the knife sticking out of her side. Kōri looks to the ceiling of the chamber, words clamoring in his head. Where's her pelt? How do they help her? He turns back to Tonraq to help him however he can but stops when he sees a gap in the stone behind him. A new tunnel. He lunges towards Tonraq, scooping Astrila up in his arms.

Kōri doesn't even flinch at the blood now coating his clothes and his pelt. They can be cleaning, but he only has one chance to help Astrila. Tonraq lets out a wordless shout of protest as Kōri pulls Astrila off the slab and rises with them, trying to keep the knife steady. Kōri jerks his chin toward the tunnel and Tonraq falls quiet. They follow the tunnel deeper into the earth. When they reach the end of it, there is a softly glowing pool. Without being told, Kōri knows that it is a healing pool. He kneels at the edge of the pool and lowers his arms into it so that she is lying upon the surface. Then he lets go. Astrila floats into the center of the pool and it lights up around her, so bright that they have to look away.
________________________________________________________________________________
What do you think is going to happen next? Will she be alright? What was pushing the man back? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.