Chapter 23

At last, the new igluvijaq is finished and Ainsley returns to sit beside Astrila, giving her former spot a wide berth as she walks over. Kōri follows just after her, sitting on Astrila's other side. After a moment, Ainsley nudges Astrila, shoulder, causing her to look up from the snow. She'd been blankly staring at it.

"What is it, Ainsley?"

Ainsley beams at her and speaks, her voice taking on a sing-song tone. "We finished the iglu, time to talk about other stuff."

Astrila raises her eyebrow. "Like what?"

"Well, what it was like to be raised among the Inuit, how you found out you were a selkie, why Kōri follows you everywhere, how old are you, what are your talents," She gasps for breath. "Everything really."

Astrila blinks at her in shock for a few heartbeats, stunned into silence. "That was . . . a lot."

Ainsley's shoulders sag. "I'm sorry."

"Why are you apologizing?"

"I get too excited when I meet new people, many of the selkies are uncomfortable with that. Only the children don't mind. That's why I'm in charge of them most of the time."

Astrila moves to put her hands on her hips but stops at the last moment. Her voice raises in shock and anger. "They don't like you because you're curious?!"

Ainsley looks down at the ground. "I suppose that's true."

Astrila scowls then looks at Ainsley, whose face is crestfallen. Astrila's expression softens and she nudges Ainsley gently with her elbow. "You don't have to worry about that with me, I promise."

Ainsley looks up at her with a face filled with hope. "Really?"

Astrila beams. "Of course. Now, what do you want me to tell you first?"

"The basics. How old are you, what are your talents, what are your favorite things to do, information like that."

Astrila gets the sense that Ainsley doesn't really want to know that information first, but she is still trying not to scare Astrila away from her. Her smile has the tiniest hint of sadness in it, unseen by Ainsley and Kōri.

"I'm eighteen. Yes, I know, it's strange for an eighteen-year-old Inuit female to not be married yet. Just like they avoided my mother, they avoid me out of fear of what I can do to them if they approach me first. My mother wouldn't let them anywhere near me, either. I never knew why, but it's as if she knew something I didn't."

Kōri speaks from beside her. "You're rambling, Astrila."

"Sorry. What was next?"

"Talents."

Astrila nods. "I've always loved doing snow pictures,"

Ainsley interrupts her, frowning in confusion. "What are snow pictures?"

"I'll show you next time there is a storm, especially because I can't use my hands right now. I'm also very good at running, even with the snow. As Kōri has already witnessed."

"What do you mean?"

Kōri answers her before Astrila can. "She almost looks to be flying over the snow. Her footprints are barely there, and she runs quite fast and easily."

Ainsley frowns deeply, thinking hard. Then she looks up, a light gleaming in her brown eyes. "Can you show me?"

"Yes, but I can't go very far from Kōri."

"Why?"

"I'll explain later if Kōri is alright with that." He gives her a nod of assent.

Ainsley thinks for a moment. "Could you run around us in a circle?"

"Easily."

Astrila bursts into motion, giddy with the joy of running, truly running. Sadly, she only gets a couple of laps in before Ainsley waves for her to stop. As Astrila slows and returns to them, she finds Ainsley's mouth gaping open in astonishment.

"You weren't joking. That was really fast."

Astrila is still smiling. "Yes, it is."

Ainsley frowns in thought. "It's faster than any human or selkie can be over snow."

A twinge of panic runs through Astrila. "Are you sure?"

"Completely. That's not normal."

"Is that bad?"

Ainsley shakes her head. "I'm not sure, but you don't have to be afraid because of it. You're different, so what? To humans, we are myths. We're all different."

"What does it mean though? Why can I do it?"

"Astrila, calm down. You probably have some other Aos Sí ancestry than just selkie. That's all. Relax."

"But where could it come from? My mother is human, and I doubt my father would have other ancestry."

"You could ask. You could just ask him if he can run like that."

Astrila sighs and has to restrain the urge to place her head in her hands. "Can we return to your questions now?"

Ainsley gives her a look, telling Astrila that she knows that Astrila is changing the subject, but she doesn't push it. "How did you find out you were a selkie?"
________________________________________________________________________________
What do you think about that revelation about Astrila's abilities? Are they bad or good? If she does have other Aos Sí ancestry, what do you think it is? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading, and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.