Chapter 6

"Of course."

Kōri rises to his feet before reaching a hand down to help Astrila do the same. She takes his hand and rises smoothly, not releasing her hold on the pelt. She looks down at it and her white-knuckled grasp upon its fur. When she looks back up, she realizes that her pelt is the same dark shade as her father's. Kayi notices it only a moment after she does, and has to restrain a bark of laughter. Astrila smiles before she exits the iglu after Kōri. When she steps out, he is staring out at the snow, glimmering faintly with the light from the setting sun. He turns to her and smiles faintly as he speaks.

"This snow may be briktla."

Astrila pulls one glove off of her hand before she crouches down. She takes a small handful of snow and squeezes it in her fist. It squeezes together well, but when she releases her grip to poke and swipe at it with her gloved hand, it crumbles away. Astrila shakes her head.

"No, this isn't quite briktla, but it isn't striktla either. It's just tla." Astrila looks up at the sky then. "We might be having some katiyana though."

Kōri looks up at the sky as well. "Yes, it does look like we'll be having katiyana. Now come on! We need to get you your own hook."

He takes hold of Astrila's arm and starts off at a run through the snow. Astrila laughs and doesn't resist, breaking out into a run herself. The snow crunches beneath her mukluks as they dart over the top of it. He doesn't return to the first iglu where she woke up, instead heading toward a group of other igluit as he makes a sharp left. He finally slows when they reach an iglu carved with intricate designs, full of seals and swirls to represent the spirits. Just from the designs, Astrila can easily ascertain that this is Tonraq's iglu.

She follows Kōri inside the iglu, emerging into a well-lit room. Tonraq's iglu is filled with healing supplies as well as those for his role as shaman. It doesn't take long for Astrila to catch a glimpse of Tonraq, despite him being bent over a basket of healing supplies, restocking it for the next day. Their feet are quiet enough upon the fur-covered floor that Tonraq doesn't hear them enter, so Kōri speaks to get his attention.

"Tonraq, we need your help with something."

Thankfully, Tonraq isn't startled by the words from behind him. He continues to restock his basket, and Astrila frowns in confusion. Maybe he didn't hear Kōri? Before she can open her mouth, Tonraq raises his head, finished with the basket, and turns.

"What do you need?"

"King Kayi sent us to get her a hook of her own."

Something akin to pleasant surprise flits across Tonraq's face. "He accepted you as a part of the Selkie community?" Astrila gives him a nod. "Well, it's not that surprising, there is no possible reason he couldn't accept you after discovering that you were his daughter."

Astrila's mouth drops open. "How did you know?"

Tonraq laughs. "There are too many similarities in your faces. One look at your eyes when you are close and anyone would know. Your hair is the same as well, it is softer than that of most Inuit, likely due to the ancestry that hails back from the Old Land. The only part of your face where I don't see a clue to your heritage is in your facial structure, that must be from your mother."

Astrila raises a hand to her cheek, and a tear rolls down her face. She wipes it away before either of them can see. "How quickly did you figure it out?"

"When you were staring at him in Kōri's iglu. Now let's get you that hook before it gets dark, alright."

Astrila gives him a shallow nod, still distracted by the reference to her mother. He bustles over to the far side of the iglu and grabs a large pouch. He brings it back over and opens it wide to let her see all of the hooks lying inside.

"Pick the one that draws to you most." Astrila reaches her hand inside the pouch and rummages through it. She doesn't feel anything as she touches each one. "Don't look, feel. Let the magic and the spirits guide you."

Astrila nods and closes her eyes. She moves her fingers throughout the pouch, feeling her way over each hook. Her fingertip grazes over the edge of one hook and tingles as it leaves the smooth surface. She backtracks, touching it once more. The moment her finger is touching the bone surface again, the tingling fades away. She grabs hold of the hook and pulls it from the pouch, opening her eyes to examine it. The hook curves elegantly, but it also gives her a feeling of strength.

"This one."

Tonraq takes the hook from her and pulls a woven cord from his pocket. He slips the cord through the hole in the hook before motioning for her to bow her head. She does so, and he slips the cord over her neck. Then he touches one finger to the point of the hook and one finger to her forehead with his other hand. A tingling sensation rushes through her body before fading, leaving warmth in its wake. Tonraq pulls his hands back and looks down at the hook.

"Would you look at that. Carvings have already appeared."

A shiver of shock travels down Astrila's spine as she looks down at the hook as well. There is a tiny star carved on the tip of the hook, followed by a cliff and a seal. There are several other tiny symbols scattered across the surface of the hook, but Astrila can't determine the meaning of them like she can with the others.

"Astrila." Her head snaps up from the hook to look at Kōri. "We need to get back to the iglu before darkness fully descends."

Astrila nods and follows Kōri out of the iglu, turning back to wave goodbye to Tonraq before she ducks out the door.
________________________________________________________________________________
What do you think the carvings on her hook mean? What do you think the unknown ones might be? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading, and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.