"I know. Michael's not very good at dying any hair apart from him own, surprisingly." Melanie chuckles a bit, but remembers the reason she's standing where she is. "Stop distracting me, that's not why I'm here. I've gotta say something I've been thinking about."

"I would hope not," Calum leans against the door and crosses his arms. "It's not like Michael to downgrade his own skills, especially when it comes to his hair." Calum is dressed better than he was the last time, but it wasn't anything too special. Melanie had seen Calum in his ripped jeans and All Time Low tank a million times. Calum could say the same thing about the stupid flannel around Melanie's waist that he hated so much (in reality, Calum thought the flannel looked nice on Melanie, but he thought she always looked nice therefore his opinion on her clothing didn't really matter). "His ego is too big for that. Either way, go on."

Melanie sighs. "What you said got me thinking, about you still having feelings for me?" She scoffs. "I would be a liar to tell you that I didn't still feel something for you. "

Calum watches her carefully, taking in the details of her face. He hasn't gotten to see her in a long time, apart from the incident just a week before. "How big is the part of you that still feels something between us?"

Melanie looks up from the wooden floorboards and to a patient Calum just a few feet away. "Pretty big," she sighs. "I know that us being together right now is a long shot because you might still be getting over Mackenzie; the last thing you need is a rebound for a girl who was supposed to be your rebound."

"How would I rebound on the girl I still like with the same girl that I like?" Calum stiffles a laugh.

Melanie groans. "I don't know! God, I sound crazy," Calum signals with hisnthumb and index finger that she does, in fact, sound just a little bit crazy. "Don't you see what you do to me?"

Calum moves from the door and makes his way to the backdoor, Melanie following not far behind. "What do I do to you?" He asks.

Melanie shrugs. "I don't know. I used to get butterflies when I was around you, but I haven't seen you in forever. Being away from one of my best friends sucks, but the fact that I liked you made it worse."

Calum opens the door and Melanie walks out behind him, closing it beind her.

The pair walk to the middle of the yard. The pool next to them reflects the soft moonlight coming in through the plethora of trees surrounding the back of the yard. Calum rubs his shoulder, dragging his hand down to his elbow. The summer air had become chilly, but Calum enjoyed it.

He smiles. "It's odd to hear that from you. You're just so reserved and all with me; never to Ashton, Luke, or Michael, but always me."

Melanie watches the ripples of the water as she thinks of an answer. "If I have to be honest, I wasn't expecting to still feel like this. I don't know, I'm just so sick of denying it, you know?" She sighs, knowing that all of this may come across to Calum as her forgiving him. It's garunteed, they'll disagree. "I'm getting those butterflies again. It's been a while."

Calum nods. "Every time I'm with you my heart beats a mile a minute."

"That's not healthy."

Melanie manages to crack a smile at the expense of her own joke. Calum had always found her smile to be contagious, and this time was nothing different. "Oh, shut up."

Melanie laughs. "Make me." Calum raises and eyebrow and smirks at the girl on his left. Though it takes her a moment, Melanie's eyes widen at the realization that she's just offered Calum to kiss her. "No, oh God!" Melanie covers her face with both of her hands, laughing. "That's not what I meant!" Calum laughs and wraps an arm around Melanie's waist, pulling her closer.

"What are you-"

And with wrapping his second arm around her, Calum finally kisses her. Melanie still has her arms by her neck, which they both are finding uncomfortable. With Calum's close grasp, she nas no choice but to lay them on his semi-bare shoulders.

He pulls away from her, and smiles. Melanie takes a moment for her thoughts, but soon grins. "Did this really just happen?"

Calum nods, the two still holding each other. "I think you're more than a friend."

Melanie feels the heat rising to her cheeks, but that's the last thing she's concerned with. She smiles brightly. "Then kiss me again."

»

(an: well lOOKS LIKE THAT WENT WELL BETWEEN THEM
was this chapter terribly written and super basic and predictable? yes. BUT WAS IT CUTE???
let's be real here, it's been thirty seven chapters (technically, though we're actually around 19 real chapters, not including notes) SOMETHING NEEDED TO HAPPEN.
but yes I hope you guys liked this chapter it took a few days to write.
there's like these or four songs referenced in this chapter so yeah if you guess them all then congrats!!!
I have nothing planned for this book anymore so yes of you have any suggestions, like I've said, don't hesitate to tell me!
any feedback? don't forget the character ask- I'm still accepting questions for it (and this chapter has so many to be asked let's be real).
ilysm guys thanks for 16k okay omg)