24. 'Did he really not know anything of what was going on in his own home?'

"Is it always so lively on movie night?" grumbled Dylan after forty minutes.
"Not normally - but Jake is so fanatical that I automatically participate," said Noah, who, despite his previously outspoken disapproval, enthusiastically commented. Even Lucas was loud. Investigating, he recorded him. "I had no idea you knew anything about American Football," Dylan said.
Cringeworthy, he realized that the accusation in that sense was not bitter, but sounded more like he felt left out. Actually, that's what it came down too. Looking at the men on the couch, he almost felt like an intruder. Maybe this had been a bad idea after all. There was still plenty of work waiting for him.
Before he could get up, he was held back by a hand on his arm.
"Stay," Lucas said with a look in his eyes that made his heart beat faster.
Dismayed, he stared back at his chest. 'What the hell was going on with him? He behaved as if Lucas was making an dishonorable proposition.'

Magda, who brought in a tray full of tea, coffee and treats, was greeted with loud cheers. Dylan was pleased with the unexpected interruption and leaned back. Suddenly his eye fell on the bowl with brownies.
"Where do you want your coffee, Mr. Stone?" asked Magda, pleasantly, recording him with surprise. The woman couldn't remember the last time she didn't find him in his study during the week.
Dylan was aware that everyone was listening. "Here please, thank you, Magda," he replied smoothly. An approving smile fell to him.
"There's another treat waiting for you, Mr. Stone," she said, gloating.
Dylan breathed a sigh of relief. Finally something familiar. That was what she usually said when she brought him his coffee on Thursday accompanied by a delicious baking. He had always found her choice of words strange. Normally she wasn't the kind of woman to praise her own work like this, but after so many years he had put it next to him. The following words shocked him all the more.
"Normally I serve your coffee an hour later. By then, the delicacies Lucas brings will have cooled down. That's why I'd recommend you eat the brownies first," she said with a pleased nod to Lucas. "They're delicious again, Lucas." "Gladly done, Magda. The gluten-free cookies for Nils are in a blue bag," Lucas nodded under Dylan's piercing gaze.

'Did he really not know anything of what was going on in his own home?'
"It's not a secret," Lucas said, interpreting his angry gaze.
"Why does it feel like so much is happening behind my back?" he hissed angrily. Lucas looked at the boys who were enjoying the tea and cookies. He had made a savory variation for Jake, who still didn't have a sweet tooth.
"I can't answer that for you, Dylan. All I can say is that it's not something new." Lucas hesitated to reveal the origins of movie night. He could tell Dylan was already pretty upset. "Actually, I always assumed you knew, but was too busy with your work to join us." As a peace offering, he offered him coffee with a brownie. "That sounds plausible," Dylan grumbled.
Lucas sighed softly at the sight of Dylan's stubborn expression. It was clear that Dylan didn't believe him, but given their company, he let it go. He hoped Dylan would follow his example.

Silently, but undeniably grimmer than before, Dylan was waiting for the joint evening to be over. At 9:30 p.m., Lucas slid forward releasing a loudly protesting Noah out of his warm embrace.
"It's time for bed. I'll stop by at 10:00," Lucas promised.
"Are you going to sleep here?" asked Noah, hopeful.
"No, sweetie," Lucas shook.
"But you're hurt," the boy protested seeking support from the Stone men present. "I'll make sure Honey gets home safely," Jake said looking at his father defiantly. Dylan wasn't surprised by the look. Jake was a perceptive young man and had noticed his impatience throughout the evening. It graced him that he wanted to protect Lucas. "That's a good idea. Thank you, Jake," Dylan admitted. "I'd like to talk to Lucas in my study before you bring him home." He stood up smoothly, gave Noah a loving caress on his head and disappeared from the conservatory without looking back.

It was 10:15 when he heard a knock on the door.
"Come in."
From behind his computer, he saw how not Lucas but Jake entered his study.
"I just brought Honey home and I would really appreciate it if you didn't bother him again tonight," were the amazing words coming out of his son's mouth.
"Was this his idea?" he asked angrily.
"No. I'm the one who convinced him to go home."
"Why?"
Jake furrowed his eyebrows. "I am aware of the problems this separation brings, but it is not fair to put everything on his shoulders."
Surprised, Dylan stared at him.
"You pushed him away very deliberately, Dad, deny it if you will, but this is how I see it. Honey has done his utmost to involve each and everyone in his move, and you've rejected all of his efforts. So actually, I don't really understand why you're so outraged. Based on your behavior, I expected his departure to be a relief to you."

Dylan shook his head. "You don't get it. Lucas deliberately kept things from me. Did you know he was never employed by me? For twelve years, he made me think he was part of my staff."
"No, I didn't know that," Jake shook his head and squeezed his lips sparingly together. "Who was the one who proposed this arrangement?"
"That was me." In an unconscious gesture, Dylan raised his chin.
"I won't ask you why you felt it necessary to give your son's uncle a subordinate position on your staff, if you start to think carefully about why Honey chose to accept your choice."
"What do you mean; accept? Didn't you hear what I said?" Dylan spat angrily. "Didn't he meet every condition you put him on?" Jake threw back. "I can't escape the idea that your anger is based on something else."
Gray eyes stared at him speechless.
"It's late," Jake said, breaking the silence. "Good night."

The boy was already half way out the door when he heard behind him: "Do you think it's okay if I come on movie night more often?"
In turn, Jake turned to his father in a surprise. "Of course that's okay. Goodnight, Dad," he said again, but now with a warm smile around his lips.
"Goodnight, Jake," Dylan managed to release before his legs caved and he slumped in his office chair.
'So now there were two who lectured him.'
With all that was said to him today, he foresaw another bad night. Strangely enough, he fell asleep almost instantly.