22. Answers

An hour after his brash act, Lucas sat with a bottle of wine that was empty for three quarters staring at the fireplace. The short knock on the door pulled him out of his musings. Taking his time he got up from the floor and walked slowly to the door.
He took a deep breath before opening the door and seeing Dylan standing outside. His coat was wet from the drizzle that gently fell down.
"How are you here?" he asked, frowning when he didn't see Dylan's car.
"On old Jamie's bike," Dylan replied somewhat caught.
Lucas stuck his head out the door and saw the old rusty bike standing against the façade. "What an unusual and potentially dangerous means of transport to choose. I'm pretty sure those lights don't work," he pointed to the front lamp that was hanging at an unnatural angle.
"It performs its function just fine. I'm here, aren't I?" grumbled Dylan, slightly agitated.

When Lucas looked at him but didn't say anything, his eyebrows popped up.
"Are you going to ask me to come in?"
"I don't think that's wise," Lucas shook. "It's late and I've been drinking wine."
"Perfect," said Dylan, who simply shoved him aside and stepped in. "Maybe I'll finally get some answers."
He stood with his hands on his hips contently looking around the living room. His eye fell on the almost empty wine bottle. "You keep that, I'll open a new one."
He ignored Lucas' loud protests and walked into the kitchen to open a bottle. With the bottle and a wine glass, he walked back and lowered himself into the sofa.

"Sit," he gestured to Lucas. "Please," he added after seeing the indignant look on his face.
"I'd rather you tell me what can't wait until tomorrow."
Dylan ignored the remark, poured his glass and took a sip.
"They're good wines. It's a shame to drink on your own, don't you think?"
When Lucas didn't move, he looked around.
"You've decorated the space nicely. It suits you."
Lucas took him in head-shaking. He didn't regret his kiss, but didn't know what to think of Dylan's presence.
"You had questions?" Demonstratively, he sank into a chair across from the couch. He did grab his bottle and glass.

Dylan nodded. "A lot has happened in recent months. Everyone seems to be aware of your situation, but I feel like you've deliberately shut me out. I was wondering why that was?"
Slightly disappointed and at the same time relieved that he did not immediately inquire about the kiss, Lucas took a deep breath. "You were the one who shut me out. Not the other way around," he corrected him.
Dylan shook his head not understanding. "What do you mean?"
Thoughtfully, Lucas took a sip of his wine. "Every time I wanted to talk to you about this subject you didn't give me the chance. Sometimes it felt like a wall that you consciously pulled up." He was happy with his calm tone.

"Seriously? I don't remember you approaching me on this subject. What did I say?" asked Dylan interested. Relaxed leaning back, he waited for an answer.
A dark cloud pulled over Lucas' face. "Things like; I don't interfere with employees' contracts, Lucas. If you want to make changes to your employment contract, I suggest you contact the head of human resources." Embarrassed, he left his head hanging. "Over the years, you've always treated me like an employee, so I shouldn't have been surprised that you did it now."
Dylan stuck his chin stubbornly forward. "Are you saying that I treat my staff badly? I've paid you well for your work all these years, Lucas. My mother would have spoken to me personally if this wasn't the case."
With a sip, Lucas emptied his glass, got up and walked to the kitchen to get a new bottle.
"Why do you open a bottle yourself? I have one here, don't I?" remarked Dylan sullenly.
"You used to understand that I didn't want to depend on anyone else. That still hasn't changed." Comfortably, he nestled in the chair.

"Is that my answer?" asked Dylan. "Because if this is the case, I can tell you already that I don't get it."
"There's not much I can do about that," Lucas shrugged carelessly.
Dylan froze on the couch. His sense of impotence grew by the minute. He hated this feeling! It made it very difficult to organize his thoughts. "Stop this nonsense and give me an answer!" he demanded angrily. "Did I treat you badly as part of my staff?!"
Lucas thought about how to formulate his reaction. "I think I was disappointed in your lack of interest in something that was very important to me. After a while, I stopped to involve you."
Frowning, Dylan picked him up. "I can imagine that. Thank you for the explanation."