5. Who's the Nanny?

Madeleine Drake was in a squeeze. Dylan had just arrived and was in a ugly mood. She had promised Lucas she would explain everything before their first meeting, but feared an escalation if she did so now. However, it was impossible to hide the presence of the two new residents so she opted for an alternative solution. I hope Lucas would forgive her for this act.
"I hired a Nanny for Jacob." She followed his long strides to the study. "It seems you know him? Lucas Mahoney?"
He stopped so suddenly that she almost ran into him. "How did you come to hire that brat? Did he lie about his age again?"
"No, I know he's a minor. His social worker had him placed under my tutelage after the death of his sister, at my request. When I heard about your connection, I thought it would be a good idea to hire him as nanny for Jacob."
She held her breath to see how this news was received.

"How did his sister die? To my knowledge, she wasn't sick."
Upon seeing the care wrinkle between his eyes, she cheered internally. Her old caring son was still hidden somewhere under this frozen shell.
"She died during Noah's birth. Custody is a buy one get one free deal," she ended with a sad smile.
"That's probably the only reason he agreed to the custody arrangement," Dylan nodded taking a seat behind his desk.
When it remained silent, Madeleine looked at the clock.
"Lucas is at school, but Noah should have his bottle now. Do you want to see him?"
"Why would I be interested in a baby from someone I can barely remember, Mother? I'm leaving that nurturing stuff to you. As for Lucas. Send him to me as soon as he gets home," he said without looking up at his work.
"Of course, son." Relieved, she left the study. Now to quickly inform Lucas about the change in his status.

"Fine," he immediately shouted. "Actually, you did me a favor, Madeleine. This gives me the perfect excuse to spend time with Jacob. Personally, I have no problem with him not knowing that Noah is his son, but how is this for you?"
"Let's take small steps. First, everything has to settle down a little bit, and then we'll see. It'll be a while before you're eighteen. Until then, nothing has to change." Lucas tasted the uncertainty in her words.
"No matter what happens, Madeleine. I'm not going to leave you. You promised me Noah would stay with me forever, and I'll make that same promise to you. We're stuck together."
"Thank you, dear darling. As always, your warm words do me good." She wiped an unseen tear off her cheek.
"Where are you? Can I send a car?"
"The project is taken a little longer than anticipated. We're going out to get coffee and sandwiches, and then return to finish up. I'll take a cab."
"Is that Lucas?", he suddenly heard by phone. "Send me your address and I'll pick you up." Click.

Stunned, he was staring at his phone. 'That man was unbelievable!'
Moaning, he thought back to all the chores he was made to do during his tenure as nanny of the hotel. Thinking of the huge house, he collapsed wretchedly. 'Maybe cold disdain was a better option, wasn't it? On the other hand, the man had no knowledge of his location as they were not at school. Ha!'
Ping. -Send your address voluntarily or I'll find out and drag you by the ear like the disobedient little boy you are!-
Lucas read the message and almost choked with anger. Neither scenario was to his liking.
"I'm terribly sorry, but I have to go. Send what you have and I'll add my part, okay?"
"That's fine. Hopefully there's not something wrong with Noah?" Demi asked.
The group was aware of his situation.
"No. I just started a new job and my employer is acting up. See you tomorrow." With a frantic trek, he stomped out and held a taxi. 'If Dylan Stone thought he could control him, he was wrong!'

He had no idea how, but as soon as he closed the front door he saw Dylan come running with big strides. The anger was clearly readable on his face.
"Didn't I tell you I was going to pick you up?"
Lucas had practiced his response.
"I was done earlier and didn't want to bother you. Besides, how should I have sent you my address? I don't have your number," he replied smoothly.
"Follow me," Dylan said after staring at him with dangerously squeezed eyes. Reluctantly, he ran after him.
"All my contact details are on here." He wrote something on the back. "That is my private number."
Internally sulking, Lucas accepted the business card.
Dylan slumped on his office chair and gestured to him to sit down.
"These aren't the first words I wanted to say to you, so let me start over."
Gray eyes looked at him with due respect.
"My condolences for the loss of your sister."
The kind and sincere words hit him hard. Lucas felt a hot tear slipping down his cheek. He had no doubt that Dylan saw his mini breakdown, but he didn't refer to it and gave him time to recover.

"I already told Jacob about his new Nanny. He was ... delighted," Dylan said sparingly. "I promised I'd send you to him as soon as our conversation ended, so..."
Before he could finish his sentence, they heard running steps in the hallway and the door flew open.
"Honey!" Jacob screamed excitedly and flew him around the neck. "Daddy told me you're going to take care of me. Is that right?" His little face looked at him beaming.
"That's right." Over his shoulder, Lucas looked at Dylan. His face was disgruntled at the unexpected interruption.
"I'm very curious about your room. Do you want to show it?"
"Can I, Daddy?" Jacob shouted at his father, looking begging.
"Of course, Jacob. We will continue this conversation at a different time."
The message accompanied by the piercing gaze came across clearly.
Taking Jacob's hand, he hastily veered up and walked with him to his room.

The nursery and the room Lucas was staying in resided in the same wing. Dylan's room was mercifully far away. Encountering each other 'by accident' was excluded. On bare knees, he was grateful for the room layout.
After a proud tour, the little man turned to him with a serious face.
"Daddy also told me you brought a baby. Is it yours?"
Lucas knelt down in front of Jacob.
"Noah is my nephew. I take care of him because his mother died." 
His eyes grew big. "Like mine?"
"Hm," Lucas nodded with a sad smile. "Just like yours."

A child's mind can be very simple. Throw in the mix two adults and 2 children and Presto; You have a family. A satisfied smile appeared around Jacob's mouth. He always wanted to have a little brother, and Lucas was sweet. Willingly, he stepped into the arms of the man he from this point on would always see as his new mother.
"I love you, Honey,"" he said, crawling deeper into the warm embrace.
"I love you too, Jacob."