21. Good intentions

An intention is easy to think of, but damn hard to execute. Lucas realized he wouldn't be able to hide from Dylan's whims if he wanted to get closer to him. A first step in the right direction was to contact Robert and take up the position as a freelance consultant. He had also abandoned the idea of a new partner. It wasn't fair to the person, and he didn't want to lie to Noah either.
Lucas wondered what Noah would think if he were successful in the mission to win Dylan over again. Would the boy be positive about a romantic relationship between his parents?
"Noah, I have something to tell you," he practiced aloud in his empty living room. I'm in love with your father. Urgh," he shook his head. "That sounds stupid." After a few deep sighs he tried again. "It may be hard to understand, but I love your father. Ever since you were a baby."
Lucas was shocked when he heard a slow clap behind him.
"Well, finally. I thought you'd never admit it," Jake said with a broad grin.

Lucas colored into a beetroot red. "Erm... this was not meant for your ears."
Upon seeing the lingering grin, he breathed a sigh of relief. "Is it really okay?"
"Of course it's okay, Honey. I've known for years that something's brewing between you. Dad's just too stubborn to admit it."
"But what about Annika? Both you and Noah are so taken with her." Lucas cringed at the hurt tone of his words.
Jake put his arms around him. "Annika is a lovely woman and I'm sure they have fun together, but she's no Honey." He shook his head for a moment. "You have no idea how bad he was when you had just left the house. He was totally lost. Annika is just a band-aid."
Lucas kept him at a distance and took him in. "Since when have you been so insightful?"
Jake laughed and Lucas frowned upon hearing the deep throat sound. "No, seriously Jake. Where have the years gone? My little Jacob, all grown-up."
"Honey!" he shouted almost complaining to the hands that tossed freely through his hair.

"What did you come to do?" asked Lucas as they finished frolicking.
"Grandma wanted to invite you to dinner."
"And the reason you're asking this instead of grandma is..?"
Jake looked at him sheepishly. "I offered to come and ask. Dad was in quite a grumpy mood."
Lucas touted his lips and looked at him sternly. "What have you been up to?" "There's a scratch on my car," Jake confessed immediately. "I swear I'll pay for the repair myself, but if Dad finds out, I'm toast."
"I'll call Ricky and ask if you can come by today."
"That would be great," Jake cried with relief.
Lucas bit his lower lip. "Is Annika still here?"
Jake hid a little smile. "No. She left this morning. I overheard her say she's going to be pretty busy in the near future."
"Hm," Lucas nodded thoughtfully, trying to hide the joy he felt. "Now that it's a family dinner, it might be a nice idea to come here and eat. Then I can cook for you again."
"That's your second great proposal in two minutes, Honey. I'm going to ask Grandma right away," Jake grinned with his phone at the ready.
Madeleine was as enthusiastic as her grandson and insisted she was the one who would tell Dylan.

Lucas was almost happy with Jake's unfortunate situation so he had a distraction from considering what reaction Dylan would have to his dinner invitation.
'Would he come? Would he opt out and with what excuse? How much effort would it take Madeleine to get him to come along?'
"You've been here half an hour and haven't said a single word, Lucas," Ricky remarked with their eyes pinched. "May I assume a 'certain gentleman' demands all your attention?" he scoffed with his fingers making air quotes.
"Not at all," Lucas lied with a straight face. "I'm just thinking about what I'm going to cook tonight. It's been a while since I last cooked for five people."
"Sure, Lucas. If you say so," Ricky grinned. "Think deeply about a suitable recipe and I'll inform Jake about the repairs."

"You leave me in limbo and discuss this directly with Jake? He's 17, Ricky." Lucas picked him up head-shaking.
A broad smile appeared on Ricky's weathered face. "That's right. That kid has been very mature by wanting to take care of this himself. He said he would cover the costs. That makes him my client, to whom I'm going now to discuss the progress of the repair."
For a moment, Lucas stared at him speechless. Jake was also a grown man in the eyes of others. Thinking back to himself at that age, he recognized deep desire to profile his own identity. He'd do better to assist Jake at this difficult time.
"Come on, mother hen," Ricky laughed, and pulled him in where Jake anxiously waited for judgment. "I know a guy who can do it for a small price," he said, patting Jake on his shoulder. "He's making time tonight so the car's ready in the morning."
"Really?" Jake blew out relieved. "That would be great, Ricky. You have no idea how happy I am with this."
"It's nice to be of service to you, kid. I'll give you a call tomorrow morning with where and when you can pick up the car."