6. A sweet order.

Dinner was served punctually at eight o'clock. Jacob was sleeping soundly and after one last check on Noah Lucas walked down. He greeted Madeleine as always with a kiss on her cheek, but was shocked when Dylan walked into the dining room and frowned.
"Staff eat in the kitchen," he said coldly.
Lucas made a move, but stopped at the hand that Madeleine placed on his arm. "Lucas eats at this table at my request."
"Okay. This once ..."
"All  his meals!"
Dylan remained silent, but eyebrows were raised haughtily so his opinion was clearly ventilating.

Lucas felt encumbered. This was the moment of day where he freely told Madeleine about his day and about Noah. Now he sat huddled with his fork shifting the food on his plate.
"You're so quiet, Lucas. Is there anything wrong?" she asked worriedly.
Under Dylan's staring gaze, he stubbornly squeezed his lips together.
"Your manners leave a lot to be desired," Dylan clucked his tongue dissatisfied. "My mother asked you a question. Be so polite to answer her."
Lucas had to make an effort to control his temperament. Picking a fight was the worst thing he could do right now.
"I have school assignment that I have to finish tonight."
"Are you capable of being a good Nanny for Jacob when you're in school all day?" grumbled Dylan.
"Lucas follows a special schedule specifically developed for teenage parents. His work adapts seamlessly to this."
"Hm. That remains to be seen." Dylan stared at Lucas. 
Lucas stared back.
His phone went off and broke the non-verbal fight.
"Noah is awake."
He got up.
"Take your plate with you. You barely ate anything," Madeleine said, but he was already gone.
Disgruntled, she turned to Dylan. "Be a little nicer to that boy. You have so much in common."
Dylan had his belly full of all the interference and slid away his plate in disgust.
"I have work to do."
Despondently, she looked from his disappearing back to his almost full plate.
"Oh for heaven's sake, boys. You really do have a lot in common."

After putting his pacifier back, Noah when back to sleep contently. Lucas worked on his assignment and sent it just in time for Noah's last feeding.
He placed the baby in his carrier strapped to his front and walked to the kitchen. That's where he made the bottle. Because after missing his meal he was quite hungry and he had to let the bottle cool down anyway, he quickly gathered the ingredients to make a sandwich.
"If you're at it, make one for me," he suddenly heard behind him.
Lucas was startled by the unexpected interruption. That move woke Noah, who was half asleep, and the little crumb put it on a roar.
"So this is Noah."
Without worrying about the considerable volume generated by the pint sized male, he stood behind Lucas, looked over his shoulder and offered his little finger's knuckle. Noah immediately stopped crying and eagerly sucked on the knuckle.
"His bottle hasn't cooled down yet."
Lucas felt Dylan's long body leaning against him. An uncomfortable tension grew in his lower abdomen.
"Have you forgotten his pacifier?"
"No. It probably fell."
He searched the carrier for the offending object. He found the tit, put it back and was relieved when Dylan stepped away from him. Noah was asleep again.

"What a sweet baby," Dylan remarked, smiling.
"He's been sleeping through the night," Lucas said sounding proud.
After a moment of doubt, he shoved his sandwich to Dylan and made a new one for himself.
"Raising a child is a very big responsibility. Isn't the father in the picture?"
Lucas took a bite and chewed thoughtfully.
"If you had a one-night stand and don't know you got someone pregnant, would you call yourself a father?"
"Duly noted. Is the biological sire in the picture?" Dylan corrected himself.
Lucas frowned. "Not at this time. Noah is the only family I have. Because I'm a minor, I wouldn't be able to do anything if the man decided to take him away from me."
"That's a very honest answer," Dylan said.
"I don't mean to keep Noah's sire out of the picture forever," he stressed again.
"You're just not in a position right now to face him," Dylan nodded understanding.
Together they ate their sandwiches.