20. Wrong assumptions.

"How was your lunch with Lucas?" asked Dylan as soon as his mother entered the house.
"Why do you want to know this so badly?" she replied coolly. "I thought you didn't want anything to do with him?"
Investigating, she looked at him. 'Was it really possible that Dylan and Lucas had a momentary affair?' She had always wondered why her cool son reacted so violently when it came to Lucas. Looking back, everything fell into place. 'How could she have missed it?'
Armed with this new insight, she was determined to offer both men a second chance. In doing so, she needed Annika's help. The young woman had genuine feelings for Dylan, but she thought she knew it wasn't love yet.

"Did I ever say that?" responded Dylan sullenly. "It's just that he was completely provoking me."
"Of course he was provoking you, Dylan. That doesn't mean you had to react so fanatically to it," she rightly pointed out. "You're lucky that Annika showed so much understanding when seeing your reaction."
She looked at him consciously before adding: "If I didn't know better, I'd think you were jealous."
"Don't be ridiculous, Mother," he waved away nonchalantly. "You know I don't see Lucas like that."
"Yes," she said, taking him in thoughtfully. "I know this is always what you say."
'How deep was the memory buried?' she wondered. Lucas had waited in vain for years for a sign of recovery. She should delve more into the material.
"Where's Annika?"
"In the salon with Noah."
With one hand on her wrist, he stopped her. "How angry was he?"
She decided to be honest with him. "Angry enough to want to leave with the northern sun. This time I was able to convince him to change his mind. I won't be able to do that next time, Dylan."
Madeleine could see that he was startled and found this an encouraging sign. "Make sure your relationship improves. Jake's almost an adult, but Noah needs both his parents."
She knew Dylan hated it when Lucas was referred to as a parent, but he held back.
"If he's willing to restrain himself, I'll do my best," he promised.

Shaking her head, she walked on to the salon.
"Grandma," Noah greeted her enthusiastically. "We just saw the ski race with which Annika won Olympic Gold. It was so cool!"
"I can imagine that," she said lovingly spreading her arms so Noah could hug her. "Would you ask Magda to make tea? I think she told me she was going to bake some cookies."
His eyes got a little bigger. "Sure, Grandma," he said beaming and ran off.
"What a sweet and well-behaved boy," Annika remarked, smiling.
"His family circumstances are not exactly average, but Dylan and Lucas have done their best to give him the most stable upbringing possible."

Madeleine sat down. "I wanted to ask you about something, Annika. It has to do with the head trauma that caused Dylan to lose his memory. I was wondering if you might know someone who's had some kind of equal experience?"
Seeing Annika's surprised look, she continued.
"When he came out of the coma we were so happy to have him back without any problems that a little memory loss seemed to be a small price to pay. Of course, at that moment we assumed it would come back by itself. You heard what he said."
Annika nodded. "I agree with him that it is disturbing to miss part of your past. Although it has been said that he has not missed anything important, it is not for anyone else to determine. If you're planning to actively investigate this, then I'm more than willing to help you," she said earnestly. "I'll make some enquiries and come back to you as soon as I have more information."
She grabbed her phone and lowered it just as quickly. "Does Dylan know about this?"
"No. I don't want to bother him with a scenario that might not work," Madeleine confessed.
"Okay," Annika nodded. "Then we keep these between us."
By the time Noah returned with a mouthful of cookie crumbs, they were sitting carefree on the couch.

Meanwhile, Lucas worked on everything but his relationship with Dylan. The pr campaign was starting to take shape and he already had quite a few sketches that he could show to Ingrid. As a thank you for taking care of the twins, Ricky had invited him for a night out. It was exactly what he needed. Distraction.

Bent over Lucas tried to find the keyhole, but no matter how he tried, he couldn't put the key in the hole. With one eye pinched, he tried again. His remaining contact lens burned in his eye. Sitting on one knee, he felt how the door even opened without a key. Before he could get up, he was roughly grabbed by the arm.
Dylan looked down on him angrily. "You have a lot of guts to come home at this time and in this state," he erupted at him.
Blinking in the bright light of the hall lamps, Lucas shook his head confused. "What? What are you talking about? And what are you doing in my house?"
"Don't be silly, Lucas. This isn't your house. Not anymore. May I remind you that you left entirely voluntarily."

He grabbed Lucas by the sleeve, pulled him up and dragged him inside. In the study, he was roughly led to the couch.
Head-shaking, Lucas plopped down on the couch. "You are dead set to see every action of mine in the worst possible light, aren't you?"
Dylan took a few deep breaths. "You smell like cigarettes and alcohol. It took you more than a few attempts to find the keyhole and you didn't seem to realize you were at the wrong door," Dylan angrily recalled. "I don't think this leaves many options."
Lucas bit himself and swallowed a hateful remark. "I made a promise to Madeleine and I do my utmost to keep it." He shook his head. "You haven't changed a bit, Dylan. Still a 'shoot first and don't ask questions, but above all and without proof draw false conclusions' man."
With a contemptuous sniff, he stood up. "Think what you want. I don't care." He took his sharp eye on Dylan. "But if you badmouth me to Noah, I'm not going to let that slide! Okay?"
For a moment, they stared at each other. The only concession Dylan made was a slight shiver in his upper lip.
Lucas snorted and turned around. "Jerk!" he muttered before leaving the study and locking the front door with a bang behind him.

After a long hot shower, Lucas stuffed a pillow behind his head and called Ricky. "You dropped me off at the wrong house, tonto," he said as soon as Ricky answered.
Ricky's deep laugh sounded pleasant in his ear. "Sorry, Lucas. I hope it didn't cause too much trouble?"
"Do you want a list?" escaped him.
"Uh oh, that doesn't sound good," Ricky said.
"After you dropped me off, I tried to open the door. I didn't understand why the key didn't fit, but because of the glass of beer in my face I lost a contact lens."
"Oh right," Ricky recalled. "That guy was a major dumbass when he thought you were trying to hit on his girlfriend. Fortunately, we were able to convince him that you were gay, otherwise you could have taken a big beating."
"In hindsight, I would have preferred that over the reception I received. I can't do any good in Dylan's eyes and now..."
"Lucas, calm down. Play it cool, remember?"
"You don't get it. Dylan didn't even give me a chance to explain the situation." "Maybe you'll get the chance tomorrow."
"I don't think it will make any difference. He has a biased opinion of me and whatever I do, it doesn't seem to change. Actually, I'm done. Cool or not, he's seriously getting on my nerves."
"Think of Noah and Jake. They need you, Lucas. And despite your words, I can't escape the thought that Dylan is important to you. The bar was filled with attractive men who were flirting with you and you missed it completely because you were constantly obsessing on Dylan. Do you have any idea how many times you mentioned his name tonight?"
Caught, Lucas held his breath. "Sorry, Ricky."
"No need, my friend. Just make sure you know what you want." There was a muffled sound on the other side of the line. "It's late, buddy. I'm going to hang up. Hold on and sleep well."
"Same to you, Ricky." Pouting, he pulled the duvet over himself and buried his face in his pillow.

What possessed him he did not know, but a sudden wave of energy gripped him. He quickly put on clean clothes and ran across the grounds to the big house. He knew Dylan would still be awake and walked to the window of the study he was calmly knocking on.
"What are you doing here at this time?" whispered Dylan hanging out the window. "Get out of the way, and I'll come in," Lucas said, and deftly climbed through the window.
As soon as his feet hit the ground, his hands reached out to a confused-looking Dylan and pushed him against the wall. "For too long, I've given you your way, Dylan, but that time is now over."
Gray eyes looked vulnerable to him. "I don't know what you mean, Lucas."
A wolfish grin appeared around his lips and he pressed his body against that of a shivering Dylan. "You're mine. You've forgotten for now, but I'll do my best to boost your memory. Here, let me demonstrate what I mean." Deliberately, he brought Dylan's head to him and kissed him fervently.
After lavishing extensively on hot lips, he took Dylan by the hand to the rug in front of the fireplace. There they slowly and enjoyingly shed their clothes.
"Please, Lucas. Make me yours."
A submissive Dylan willingly offered himself and let him sigh with pleasure.
He knew this wasn't real, but right now he didn't care. Moaning in his sleep, he dreamed of all the things that were forbidden to him in reality.

Last night's dream made Lucas realize that he couldn't contain his feelings for Dylan much longer. For years he had suffered in silence from the passion they had shared together. He couldn't blame his silence on Dylan's behavior. It really wasn't his fault that he didn't know anything. The only control he could exercise was his own behavior.

Time to see if there was still a future ahead for them.