23. A new discovery

After a short and virtually sleepless night, Dylan went to see his mother. Not willing to wait until she came down, he knocked on her door.
"I wanted to ask you something about what Lucas said to me yesterday," he began immediately.
"Good morning, to you too Dylan," she berated him from behind her small desk. "Is it so urgent that you couldn't wait for breakfast?" She didn't know what to think of the intense look in his eyes.
"I didn't want to bother the boys with this," was the promising answer.
"I'm very curious. Please continue." Expectantly, she leaned back.

All night long, the façade Lucas had built gnawed at him. About his independence and not accepting stuff. Since he had taken the cottage and the associated land from his mother, this was yet another proof of his intentional deception.
"How did you get Lucas to accept the cottage and the land?"
'Wait! This was not the way he wanted to formulate the question. Didn't it sound like pleading? And why was he on one knee?' He quickly slid onto a chair.
"Not easily. I can guarantee you that," Madeleine laughed.
"He said you donated the cottage to him," he added not understanding.
She shook her head. "That is a very free interpretation of reality."

After a moment of inward deliberation, she decided to explain the situation in its entirety. "Lucas hid in this cottage after your spectacular fight ten years ago. Although cottage is a bad description. At that time it was still a complete construction trap. I saw how desperately he wanted his own space in the vicinity of Noah and gave him permission to refurbish the cottage. It took years for it to finish. When he left the big house, it was a logical step to move in. And I did try to give it to him. Lucas wouldn't be Lucas if he hadn't been adamant to adjust the contract. The cottage is in Noah's name and he pays a modest lease."

Frowning, Dylan heard her. "What about his finances? Apparently, he never received any pay. So where does his money come from?"
Madeleine stood up. "That's really a topic you have to discuss with Lucas himself." She hesitated before adding: "For years he has tried to please you, Dylan. You've always ignored him. If you're really not interested in him, let him go!"
Dylan shook his head resolutely. "How can you expect me to put his years of deceit next to me? He may know how to wind you around his little finger, but he won't be able to do that with me. Lucas made a complete fool of me yesterday and I have absolutely no intention of leaving it at that!"
"What are you going to do?" she asked, somewhat startled.
"Asking what his source of income is and I don't mean his job at the publisher. It wasn't in the private investigator's report. Suspicious, don't you think?"
Without saying goodbye, he stormed out of the house.

If Lucas had appeared at the breakfast table, he'd have missed Jake who was on his way to pick up his car.
"I really enjoyed yesterday," he said to Lucas, who nodded sparingly.
"Me too. It brought out good memories."
"Dad was acting strange when he got in the car. Did something happen during your farewell?"
"Erm... I think your father and I have yet to get used to our new rapport. Old habits wear out slowly."
Jake stared out in front of him. 'Was Honey aware how much he had exposed himself yesterday?' The whole evening revolved around favorites of Dad. From the flowers on the table, the music choice to the food. Anything to accommodate him. Combined with the look in his eyes, it had been almost painful to see. Only thanks to his grandmother's affirmative nod did he keep quiet. This game had not yet been played and perhaps there was still a role open for him.

"Are you sure I just have to drop you off?" asked Lucas, who was anxiously looking around. This was an unknown neighborhood, and he was uncomfortable leaving Jake here.
"For the umpteenth time, Honey, yes! I made the appointment. It's my responsibility."
Lucas breathed a sigh of relief when he saw Ricky coming.
"Don't worry, Lucas. I know this guy very well. He's giving him a good deal." Sighing, he recognized the look in those green eyes. "I'll send you a message as soon as the deal is done, okay?"
"Thank you, Ricky," Lucas nodded with relief. After a final salute, he continued his journey.